PDA

View Full Version : Controller Heater

dirknerkle
11-26-2010, 04:04 PM
In case any of you find the need to keep a controller warm, here's a pretty inexpensive, easy way to do it. I've added it to the Ren-W section of the Wiki since I've had to add heat to a couple of my controllers as the temperature and wind has caused our temperatures to drop wayyyyyyyyyy down there. :shock:

An added benefit is having a light inside the controller itself, which makes servicing either the controller or the display at night quite a bit easier!

Here's the link to the Wiki page and a photo of the finished product...

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ren-W_Controller_Heater

RichF
11-26-2010, 04:44 PM
can you also design an air-conditioner to keep my controllers cool?

dirknerkle
11-26-2010, 04:56 PM
can you also design an air-conditioner to keep my controllers cool?

LOL!!! Easy. Cordless drill, 1/2" bit... lotsa holes... it's the Swiss-cheese solution!!!

rokkett
11-26-2010, 06:28 PM
A .22 will allow you punch a series of small holes. Try a .45 to improve the air flow...

..ventilate the housing before installing the controller....

RichF
11-26-2010, 07:51 PM
But then I will have a Water intrusion problem.

IdunBenhad
11-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Hi:
I knew that would work. Nice going, Dave. Your WIKI is very explanatory.

In your area, all you have to do is open the lid for air conditioning. In the winter, that is. RichF just doesn't live in the right place to enjoy that natural cold air flow.

dirknerkle
11-26-2010, 08:09 PM
But then I will have a Water intrusion problem.

Picky, picky picky.... :lol:

Seriously, is heat a big problem for you? I'd think perhaps a couple PC fans might be helpful, they run on 5 or 12v and aren't hard to work with.

Of course, the water issue is always looming. Hmmmm.... interesting problem needing a solution...

Where's Inspector Gadget when you really need him?

Mactayl
11-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Picky, picky picky.... :lol:

Seriously, is heat a big problem for you? I'd think perhaps a couple PC fans might be helpful, they run on 5 or 12v and aren't hard to work with.

Of course, the water issue is always looming. Hmmmm.... interesting problem needing a solution...

Where's Inspector Gadget when you really need him?

He is right here. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-JHfXVlkik

zztopmo
11-26-2010, 08:20 PM
I attached a pc fan to the bottom of my basic controller box (I mount the box in an upright position). Then place in the encloser a small bag of moisture absorbant. I mount my boxes where they do not get direct rain exposure and seems to work.