PDA

View Full Version : XBee Problems?

dirknerkle
11-24-2010, 04:32 PM
I've talked to a couple folks who've experienced a few problems with the XBee radios. The symptom seems to be the inability to connect to the radio again after making setting changes.

It's true that normally you'll receive an "error message" but that's because the settings create a retries value of 0, which the XCTU software doesn't like to see. But the setting is valid, and after changing the baud rate from 9600 to 57600 and WRITING the setting, for example, you will lose communication with the radio because XCTU is still set at 9600 while the radio is now at 57600. Changing XCTU to the new baud rate setting should allow you to connect to it again.

If you cannot connect to it at any baud/parity/stop bit setting, one trick that you can try is to remove the radio from the Explorer board and set it on some tinfoil or other metal object so that all 20 pins are grounded. Let it sit for a few seconds, then plug it back into the Explorer. This should discharge any caps or other internal components that may be holding a charge and preventing communication.

I'll certainly be in contact with Digi on this matter. I myself have experienced a few weird issues over the last 2 or 3 days that appear to be temperature related whereas last year, I had no such issues whatsoever when the temp got down to -30F. What's odd is that I have 12 wireless controllers outside, and they're all in either CG1000 or CG2000 boxes. Two of them seem to be having problems with low temperature while all the others are working just perfectly -- and some of these are within only a matter of feet from one another. Today the temp got up to 35F and everything was running just fine. Last night it was about 15F and everyone was fine except these two units...

So I'm working through those with a couple ideas and will have more information for you later. Until then, please post whatever symptoms you're having that seem to be incurable.

mikentn
11-24-2010, 06:09 PM
<snip> ...Until then, please post whatever symptoms you're having that seem to be incurable</snip>.

Well, I've got this strange rash on my inner thighs that I can't scrub off with Ajax....

Oh wait...Xbee symptoms.....nevermind....:oops:

:lol:

N7XG
11-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Tried the tinfoil trick, no success.

There has got to be a way to reset an xbee back to factory defaults.

Dean

dirknerkle
11-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Well, I've got this strange rash on my inner thighs that I can't scrub off with Ajax....

Oh wait...Xbee symptoms.....nevermind....:oops:

:lol:

Had that once myself. Ajax didn't work for me either!:rolleyes:

Dean - there is a way to reset to to defaults but AFAIK you have to connect to it first. I tried Digi -- pretty tough to get very far on the day before TG...

Dang! I'll take another look at the XBee tech docs...

somtng4u2c
11-24-2010, 06:45 PM
I've talked to a couple folks who've experienced a few problems with the XBee radios. The symptom seems to be the inability to connect to the radio again after making setting changes.

It's true that normally you'll receive an "error message" but that's because the settings create a retries value of 0, which the XCTU software doesn't like to see. But the setting is valid, and after changing the baud rate from 9600 to 57600 and WRITING the setting, for example, you will lose communication with the radio because XCTU is still set at 9600 while the radio is now at 57600. Changing XCTU to the new baud rate setting should allow you to connect to it again.

If you cannot connect to it at any baud/parity/stop bit setting, one trick that you can try is to remove the radio from the Explorer board and set it on some tinfoil or other metal object so that all 20 pins are grounded. Let it sit for a few seconds, then plug it back into the Explorer. This should discharge any caps or other internal components that may be holding a charge and preventing communication.

I'll certainly be in contact with Digi on this matter. I myself have experienced a few weird issues over the last 2 or 3 days that appear to be temperature related whereas last year, I had no such issues whatsoever when the temp got down to -30F. What's odd is that I have 12 wireless controllers outside, and they're all in either CG1000 or CG2000 boxes. Two of them seem to be having problems with low temperature while all the others are working just perfectly -- and some of these are within only a matter of feet from one another. Today the temp got up to 35F and everything was running just fine. Last night it was about 15F and everyone was fine except these two units...

So I'm working through those with a couple ideas and will have more information for you later. Until then, please post whatever symptoms you're having that seem to be incurable.

You might think about adding a thermister in your box to help keep it warm.

dirknerkle
11-24-2010, 07:56 PM
You might think about adding a thermister in your box to help keep it worm.

I have mounted a small 15w light in one just as a test. I mounted it on the inside top cover so the bulb is about over the middle if the SS24 board. It uses a chandelier size bulb, so they're rather small (about 2" long x 1/2" across). I considered a thermistor, but I actually like the light better. You go outside to diagnose something at 9pm and that extra light is really nice to have! None of it leaks out the CG2000 box, either. If the 15w proves to be too warm, I'll know within the next couple hours whether it does anything to the top of the CG2000 box and I can replace it with a simple 7W nightlight bulb.

It's snowing right now and I have noticed that no snow is collecting on the box, so that must mean it's working...

EDIT: Three hours later: the Box is only slightly warm to the touch, no snow on it, the top of the case just above the bulb isn't soft so I think the 15w bulb is going to work out okay in there. I usually turn on mains power about a half-hour ahead of my show, and I'd think that would be enough time to warm things up enough inside the case or at least raise the temperature enough.

N7XG
11-24-2010, 09:33 PM
I took another shot at reprogramming my xbee, and vola success. All seems to be working well.

Dean

dirknerkle
11-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Outstanding! NOW LEAVE THEM ALONE!!! :p :p :p