PDA

View Full Version : First Online Syncronized Display?

joeberg
11-27-2007, 10:23 PM
I am not sure how well this will work, but I have setup live video of my display. I am limited on bandwidth, but hopefully have tuned things to where it works fine with a few users (i am limited to 10). I am looking for feedback on how well it works for remote users. Let me know if you are able to receive the audio/video at a decent enough framerate.

You can check it out at this link http://www.holidayautomation.com/liveshow.php

While you are there, be sure to register your display in the database and play around with the interactive display which is still up also. Everything was done with Vixen.

thanks for your feedback!

Joe

Wayne J
11-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Thats freaking great! Love it!

Looked good and worked well for me.

Walden
11-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Ya that was pretty sweet!

xmus
11-27-2007, 11:35 PM
I am not sure how well this will work, but I have setup live video of my display. I am limited on bandwidth, but hopefully have tuned things to where it works fine with a few users (i am limited to 10). I am looking for feedback on how well it works for remote users. Let me know if you are able to receive the audio/video at a decent enough framerate.

You can check it out at this link http://www.holidayautomation.com/liveshow.php

While you are there, be sure to register your display in the database and play around with the interactive display which is still up also. Everything was done with Vixen.

thanks for your feedback!

Joe

Joe it would be a great service to the community if you could write a how to on this.

joeberg
11-28-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

Joe it would be a great service to the community if you could write a how to on this.

Exactly which part would you like to see? It would take a book(s) to writeup everything involved (i.e. html, php, mysql, xml parsing, ajax, video streaming, etc). I do plan to expand a lot on the technical portion... AFTER the holidays when I can take a break. I have some basic info there now, but not as much as I want. What would you like to see a writeup on most?

Joe

xmus
11-28-2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

Exactly which part would you like to see? It would take a book(s) to writeup everything involved (i.e. html, php, mysql, xml parsing, ajax, video streaming, etc). I do plan to expand a lot on the technical portion... AFTER the holidays when I can take a break. I have some basic info there now, but not as much as I want. What would you like to see a writeup on most?

Joe

I understand, Your goal would not be to teach html,php etc, simply to indicate what you did, so that someone who already knew how to do html could perform that step. Perhaps you could provide some sample code, and some examples. Just put ANYTHING down on paper for now, and we will try to imitate you, and see what we can do....

joeberg
11-28-2007, 01:15 AM
I understand, Your goal would not be to teach html,php etc, simply to indicate what you did, so that someone who already knew how to do html could perform that step. Perhaps you could provide some sample code, and some examples. Just put ANYTHING down on paper for now, and we will try to imitate you, and see what we can do....

Gotcha, That's kind of what I had in mind. Anytime anyone asks for help, I am always happy to assist when possible as can be seen with other similar sites popping up already. I haven't gotten to the howto's yet, but they are coming. Given the following choices, in what order would you want to see information on first?

Video Streaming
Vixen Web Control
Logging User Activity
[insert your request here]

(looking for feedback from everyone, not just xmus)

thanks!

Joe

Wombat
11-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Interactive Displays. I would like to eventually set it up to allow limited access to the display online

Wombat

xmus
11-28-2007, 01:54 AM
I agree, interactive displays is primarily my interest

Anarchtica
11-28-2007, 03:18 AM
I looked into doing this briefly. You are using Flash Media Encoder and Flash Media Server correct? If I am not mistaken, you have a web cam connected to Flash Media Encoder which takes the images and encodes it into Flash which the Media Server then streams. The only problem I ran into is you need a server that has Flash Media Server installed on it or one that you can install onto. I have a shared hosting package with A Small Orange and I cannot install Flash Media Server onto the shared server nor is it pre-installed. Flash Media Encoder is easy because it sits on your home computer and uploads the video to the Media Server.

joeberg
11-28-2007, 09:38 PM
You are correct. I am using FMS for my video. I have some more info on my site about it. You do need FMS in addition to FME, but they CAN be on the same machine and DOESN'T have to be the same machine as your web server. I am using the FREE development version of the FMS software that allows up to 10 simultaneous connections at one time. It is available for download the adobe site. They have actually both been running on my main workstation since before halloween and it doesn't seem to have a performance impact.

As far as the web-integrated Vixen stuff. I will try to cobble together a writeup on it.

Joe

Anarchtica
11-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Here (http://www.lightscontrol.com/) is a guy that also allows you to control his lights remotely. He's been doing this for a couple of years I believe.

joeberg
11-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Here (http://www.lightscontrol.com/) is a guy that also allows you to control his lights remotely. He's been doing this for a couple of years I believe.

I haven't seen that one. There are several others out there though. I have been doing mine for several years also see www.holidayautomation.com/historyof.php.

Some of the others I am aware of:

http://www.controltheshow.com/

http://www.komar.org/cgi-bin/christmas_webcam

Joe