PDA

View Full Version : Hacking Walmart Lights

enuro12
11-23-2010, 10:26 PM
I bought a bunch of the RED/Green & Blue/White changing lights from walmart. I'm wondering if its possible to separate the two colors. So i'd have Red or Green & Blue or White. I do realize on the blue/white strand i'd only have blue or white, not both on at any given moment.

Chuck

enuro12
11-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Honestly i thought for 5min where to post this... I have now found the "other" hardware section. Could a mod move it please?

bnradams
11-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Are they LED or incandescent ? Led could get a bit tricky but incandescent should be a easy a cutting off the controller and soldering on plugs to each of the wires for individual control.....

enuro12
11-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Well well well... Sorry about the vague description.

These are the LED lights C7 they've had for about 2 years. The controller appears to be a tiny little in line booger.

I was thinking the controller just swaps between say 4.2v for blue and 4.0v for white? But i was hoping someone has allready done it :)

Entropy
11-24-2010, 11:26 AM
It probably operates similar to the red/green bicolor LEDs. The two LEDs are wired in reverse polarity to each other, so swapping + and - will reverse bias one LED and forward bias the other.