PDA

View Full Version : help conecting multiple ren

barbotte
11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
hello i have few question for my set up i will be running
1x ren 64 xc using aprox 32 chanel conected to pc via cat 5 cable then
1 x ren ss24 mega tree and
1x ren ss24 display

the ren 64 is working righ now on his own with 32 chanel but when i want to hook up the ren 24..the 64 is working but not the 24 ..my set up is pretty close to the one showing in the wiki but i notice a buch of jumper on all the board ... wich one is on wich one if off

also i am assuming the way to run only 32 chanel on the 64 is to add a bunch of empty chanel on the sequence until 64 is fill then the 24 will be on with the mega tree then the dispaly ??

also what is the easier way to make sure that my preview display in vixen and the display outside match ...now when the red window is on on display ... the deck is on ect...

kychristmas
11-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Without being able to see it, it sounds like you don't have the Channels correct in Vixen. So the easiest way is to make sure your Channels match. It may be as simple changing the Plugin settings.

If you want to put them all on the same Port and you want the Ren 64 first in the chain, then you will need to add the unused channels as you mentioned. You will need to have all 8 PICS installed. I can't see the WIKI at work, but take a look at it and verify if there are jumpers for enabling the Output of the RS485.

I had a ton of unused Channels on controllers last year. It made it real easy to add new items into the display this year.

Before you do anything, make sure you are using Profiles instead of having everything embedded in the sequences. Also, each time you make a change and have a working profile, make a backup of it. I find it easy to corrupt them when you are moving Channels around.

I would split this into two pieces. First Create a Simple Test Sequence with one plugin with however many channels you have total. Use this to get your Daisy Chained Controllers working. Once you have that, then work on fixing your Channels in your real profile.

Remember Vixen doesn't know about what controllers you have. It only know to send n channels out a specific COM port.

EDIT: Don't know which 24 you have or what protocol you are running (RS232 or RS485), but no matter what you are feeding the first controller with, the 2nd or 3rd and 4th controllers need to be set for RS485.

barbotte
11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
ok here is my profile in vixen .... 165 chanel
i will be using aprox 100 of them
using righ now and working ren 64xc chanel 1-30 then the rest are all spare or extra ( i still need to be output re-enrage them but that should be kind of easy)
then i want to used from chanel 66 and up .. for my ren 24 ss for mega tree then ren 24ss for the rest of dispaly that is what i ahve trouble with as i dont know wich jumper shoud be on or of on the controler as the wiky does not mention ..at least i did not find it yet
thank

kychristmas
11-16-2010, 12:43 PM
I would encourage you to use a simple Test Sequence.

Remember, they still have to be real channels if they are in the path. You don't have to have anything hooked them or anything assigned in the Vixen Grid, but they need to be there. You can't have that 65th channel in there. Because that will be the first Channel on the first 24.

Given your controller setup, I would create a Test Sequence that is 112 channels 64+24+24. You should have no more than that assigned in the Renard Output Plugin. Once you have this working and thing displaying correctly on all controllers, then I think it will be more clear what you have to do in your real profile.

Again, I think you are fighting two battles here. Use a test sequence to fight the first battle of making sure your controllers and communication are configured correctly. Then fight the battle of finalizing your profile.

I'm also not certain about what jumpers there are on your controllers. I don't have my Ren 64 in front of me and I don't own a Ren 24SS. I do have Frank's Ren 24 which is similar, but not jumpered the same.

Edit: After re-reading your post above, I have a question... Are you aware that the entire channel data is not passed down the chain? With the standard Renard code, Vixen will essentially treat the 3 controllers like one big 112 channel Renard. Each PIC will peel-off it's 8 Channels and then foward the rest down the line.

I'm not sure why you have 165 Channels defined? When I get home this afternoon, I'll send you the 112 Channel Test sequence I created for testing my Renard Wireless setup.

RichF
11-16-2010, 12:59 PM
If I am reading correctly the Ren64 is not completly populated. Is that correct?

steve_hirst
11-16-2010, 01:08 PM
on the 24ss pull off the jumper on jp1 and that will put it in rs485 mode.

barbotte
11-16-2010, 01:12 PM
If I am reading correctly the Ren64 is not completly populated. Is that correct?

your corect i will be using only 30 chanel on the 64 as they are being used for window ... roof exc.. then i want to hook up the mega tree and the rest of display wich will be into 2 ren 24 ... i think the way vixen think when they all daisy chain is 1 big controler .. the reason of the 160 chanel is simple i have 4 ren 24 and 1 64 = 160 chanel but i will be using only 2 ren 24 and 1- 64.. so when i created my profile i put 160 chanel for future expension

my goal is to used 1- 30 chanel on the 64 for roof and window ect then from 31 to 64 will be empty chanel ( nothing conected to it ) then chanel 65 to 89 is the tree then 90 till 114 the rest of display .. then 144 on ... blank chanel
is that make sence ?? also on the ren 24 ss theyre is 3 jumper..jp1..jp2..jp3
what do i do with them lol
thank you for your help

james70818
11-16-2010, 02:33 PM
your corect i will be using only 30 chanel on the 64 as they are being used for window ... roof exc.. then i want to hook up the mega tree and the rest of display wich will be into 2 ren 24 ... i think the way vixen think when they all daisy chain is 1 big controler .. the reason of the 160 chanel is simple i have 4 ren 24 and 1 64 = 160 chanel but i will be using only 2 ren 24 and 1- 64.. so when i created my profile i put 160 chanel for future expension

my goal is to used 1- 30 chanel on the 64 for roof and window ect then from 31 to 64 will be empty chanel ( nothing conected to it ) then chanel 65 to 89 is the tree then 90 till 114 the rest of display .. then 144 on ... blank chanel
thank you for your help

On the SS's take jp1 and Jp2 off since they will get a RS485 signal from the first controller. JP3 is optional and turns on the on board LED's

James

barbotte
11-16-2010, 02:39 PM
thank for all your help ... now i cannot wait to get home and try it ...too bad i am at work browsing the net instead of working lol ...
cheer

kychristmas
11-16-2010, 02:48 PM

thank you for your help

That's fine. In your prevous post you only mentioned the two Ren 24s and I read that you were going to use "chanel 66 and up .. for my ren 24 ss." I figured that's why you are mixed up. The Ren 24s will start at Channel 65 as you have state most recently.

I'm a bit confused on the "Fully Populated" thing and whether or not you have the PICS installed. If its going to be the First controller in a Chain, the Ren 64 will definitely have to be fully populated with all 8 PICS and both comm chips. If you want to save that money, then I suggest you move it to the end of the chain or steal the Chips from the unsused Ren 24s.

budude
11-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm a bit confused on the "Fully Populated" thing and whether or not you have the PICS installed. If its going to be the First controller in a Chain, the Ren 64 will definitely have to be fully populated with all 8 PICS and both comm chips. If you want to save that money, then I suggest you move it to the end of the chain or steal the Chips from the unsused Ren 24s.

Another alternative is to run a wire into the unused sockets at pin 5 of the first unused PIC to pin 6 of the last one - this will bypass the RS485 path from the last working PIC back to the OUT connnector. You would then have a Ren32 or something (depending on how many PICs are installed x 8) and would have to accomodate this in Vixen. Not highly recommended but it would work...

barbotte
11-16-2010, 04:58 PM
k sorry for the confusion ... the ren 64xc is fully build with all the chip ect ,,, i guess i got confuse with the word POPULATED .. so yes i can run 64 chanel with blinky light if i wanted but i dont for now ... i only wanted to run 7-8 ssrs on it then run the 24 ss... 1 more hours before i got home to try it lol .... also i will have my tree starting at chanel 65 and not 66 ....i am crossing my finger that everything will be working
thank again for all your help

barbotte
11-16-2010, 09:16 PM
well thanks to all of you who help me while i was at work lol ...i got home ...plug 1 of my ren 24 to my tree removed jumper as mention ,,, move chanel trough the profile and voila a blinky flashy mega tree to the music .... now i need to do the same to my other ren 24ss lol again thank to all
cheer