PDA

View Full Version : Make real snow

olingerjccj
11-05-2010, 02:14 PM
I have been looking around for a write up on how to make a real snow machine like the ski areas. I found people doing this but no real write ups. So I know you need compressed air, water and the right temps, but is that the only way? I dont have a compressor but could probably find a cheap one a harbor freight any links or Ideas.

Thanks
John

trcons
11-05-2010, 02:23 PM
A cheap pressure washer will work

olingerjccj
11-05-2010, 02:29 PM
A cheap pressure washer will work

That hooks to a compressor or straight to the hose?

John

jrock64
11-05-2010, 02:29 PM
http://snowguns.com/eve/forums

You need a pressure washer and a large air compressor. And most importantly cooperative weather.

Somehow freezing temperatures. frozen hoses, and wet connections lost its appeal for me.

Joel

dirknerkle
11-05-2010, 02:38 PM
One major consideration is noise. When you run pressurized air through a small orifice just past the venturi for a water supply, it usually generates significant noise. And the pressure needs to be high enough to create the tiny water droplets that can freeze in the air, so naturally you either have a whole lot of pressure or you mount the contraption high enough so the droplets can freeze by the time they hit the ground, because they won't freeze afterward.

This kind of noise in a neighborhood can make you a very hated neighbor. If you've ever been to a ski resort that makes its own snow, you know that you can hear the squeal of the snow machines for a good half-mile or more.

olingerjccj
11-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Got it really does not sound like a good Idea. I will look into the fake snow then.

Thanks
John

Andy.wpg
11-05-2010, 06:55 PM
This kind of noise in a neighborhood can make you a very hated neighbor. If you've ever been to a ski resort that makes its own snow, you know that you can hear the squeal of the snow machines for a good half-mile or more.

In a way, this is one plus about where we live, right? Don't have to worry or spend any money on stuff that nature provides for free.

YAY! One in the 'plus' column for the guys that are too dumb to live where its warm!

Greg in Canby
11-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Got it really does not sound like a good Idea. I will look into the fake snow then.

Thanks
John

Hold on there John. I'm in western Oregon, some what of a banana belt area, south of Portland. It rains here. When it finally gets cold enough to snow, the high pressure keeps most of the moisture out. Some of the MOST fun I have had lately is making snow. While it takes specific conditions that are only available maybe 4 times a year here, it's a hoot.

I'll PM you next week with specifics if you like.

Greg

IdunBenhad
11-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Hi:
Snow?---Icey?---Cold?---Rain? These are four letter words and I don't use four letter words.

Warm!---Food!---Lazy!---Beer! These are four letters I slip in once in a while.

Viva Warm Yuma, AZ.