PDA

View Full Version : Building a JUMP and have a design question

NightPueo
11-04-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm in the process of building a JUMP (Jack Up Mega Pole) and having a difficult time locating some of the parts. The 2" gate pipe hinge is proving to be elusive. I was at my local hardware store looking at the different fence pieces I started thinking about replacements and was wondering why not use the post hinge instead of the gate hinge. The post hinge is the part that fits into the gate hinge.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xk1/R-100322423/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Because it has an integrated pin, I wouldn't need to build the push rod top piece. The pin of the post hinge would fit right into the open end of the push rod.

Has someone tried this already and had a problem with it? I did a search of the forum but I didn't see any mention of modifying it this way.

The other issue I had was I can't get the drop leg jack. Harbor Freight wants $50 to ship it to me. I'm going to try using a scissor jack instead.

Skunberg
11-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Looks like the post hinge should work. A scissor jack I don't think will work as well, find someplace local that sells parts to make trailers. They should have or be able to get the jack.

Brian

NightPueo
11-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I've been on the phone all day. Closest thing I could find was a drop leg jack with a wheel mounted on the end for boat trailers. $100. *sigh* The biggest drawback to the scissor jack is I would have to crank like heck to extend and retract it.

Gandalf143
11-04-2010, 10:41 PM
I went to everybody's friend to find the jack...EBAY. I got it for around $31 with shipping, and received it in 3 days. As for the hinges, I did see some at my local Home Depot but not where you'd expect them. I saw them on the electrical conduit isle, or at least some clamps that would work on the conduit pipes of the mega tree.

NightPueo
11-05-2010, 11:23 PM
I had checked e-bay, but the only ones available at the time were top crank ones. I might play around with the scissor jack. I'm thinking that if I put a hook bolt into the chuck of a drill, I can use that to lift and lower the jack. Plus the jack was only $25 at Walmart. I'm going to try out the post hinge idea and see how that goes.

Jakeleg1969
11-06-2010, 12:37 AM
FWIW, I seem to recall viewing a demonstration on-line about the Jump and, if I recall properly, the jack used in the demo came from Northern Hardware. This was quite a while ago. It was only about $30.

Jerry in Louisiana

Dennis Cherry
11-06-2010, 09:02 AM
FWIW, I seem to recall viewing a demonstration on-line about the Jump and, if I recall properly, the jack used in the demo came from Northern Hardware. This was quite a while ago. It was only about $30.

Jerry in Louisiana

Correction:

Jack comes from "Harbor Freight."

Jakeleg1969
11-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Correction:

Jack comes from "Harbor Freight."

Correction duly noted...and appreciated... I am not quite as young as I used to be...

Jerry in Louisiana

Reddy_Kilowatt
11-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Harbor Freight wants $50 to ship it to me. I'm going to try using a scissor jack instead.

They have free ground shipping through this weekend on a $130.00 order.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3500-lb-capacity-drop-leg-trailer-jack-3961.html

As for a scissor jack, you want to make sure you can temporally secure it to the pole. You don't want things to twist on you when you have it half way jacked up. You also may need to adjust the peg hole spacing to match the extension of the scissor jack.

-Craig

NightPueo
11-07-2010, 04:40 PM
They have free ground shipping through this weekend on a $130.00 order.

As for a scissor jack, you want to make sure you can temporally secure it to the pole. You don't want things to twist on you when you have it half way jacked up. You also may need to adjust the peg hole spacing to match the extension of the scissor jack.

-Craig

Thanks for the shipping tip. But unfortunately, when I just tried to order it I was informed it doesn't apply for shipping to Hawaii. You should have seen what they wanted to ship an anvil to me.

The jack I found has a lot of features that will work out well I think. The base has V notches near the lift pad that would straddle the pipe and the base is really wide so I can drill a few holes in it and mount it to a platform fastened to the pipe. I think it has a 15" lift but I gotta check before I start drilling the pipe.