PDA

View Full Version : RPM's dc ssr issues

Warlock
10-31-2010, 05:36 AM
The dcssr is not working...I got no activity light at all on RPM's dc ssr..I got power and everything else is working as I'm trying to get my mighty mini's working for today..Any help would be greatly appreciated

RPM
11-01-2010, 06:52 PM
The dcssr is not working...I got no activity light at all on RPM's dc ssr..I got power and everything else is working as I'm trying to get my mighty mini's working for today..Any help would be greatly appreciated

Can you post some pictures to see if we can figure out what's going on with it?

Robert

Matt_Edwards
11-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Warlock,
is this the same controller we were discussing on Chat the other night?

I think the last action you were going to check if the FET were install with hte correct orientation.

Do you still have a problem with the board?

Warlock
11-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Same issues guys...Robert the issues are as follows...dc ssr 16 refused to address so I could only use the dc ssr and not the other that is automatically set for 1 - 16 (so dc ssr could not be addressed for 17-32) half the board only worked(no idea why that was the case either).Gonna try and get it all fixed for christmas and get all this gear running...
Thanks for the help guys as always
Joe...

RPM
11-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Same issues guys...Robert the issues are as follows...dc ssr 16 refused to address so I could only use the dc ssr and not the other that is automatically set for 1 - 16 (so dc ssr could not be addressed for 17-32) half the board only worked(no idea why that was the case either).Gonna try and get it all fixed for christmas and get all this gear running...
Thanks for the help guys as always
Joe...

Off hand I can't think of why the board wouldn't take a new address... we'll get to that later.

If only half of the board has output, you may have the FET's on one side in backwards. I apologize for not having an assembly manual up yet, but I'll be adding some more detailed assembly pictures to my store soon.
One thing to check for with the FETS is look at the side that is working and the other side should have the FETS mounted in the opposite direction.
Also, the 74HC595's are mounted in opposite directions.
I'll attach a picture that shows the orientation.

Warlock
11-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Ok so that explains that issue Robert...Your pic on your site I used as a reference didn't show them reversed so I installed them all the way...Ok I can fix that easy enough..

Now for the addressing issue as I was using your other 16 channel ssr you gave me the board of with my dimmer order last year but couldn't as the dc ssr would not address...Please also look at the dongle issues I was having..
Thanks again as always
Joe...

mschell
11-01-2010, 10:40 PM
I've built 3 of RPM's DMX16DCSSR boards in the last few months. If you follow the indications on the board - put the tab of the FETs where the thicker white line is on the silkscreen, watch the orientation of the chips, and be sure the AVRs are programmed correctly, things will work. If you bought the board directly from RPM in the last buy, you'll even get the ATTINY2313 programed.

Since the power LED is driven by the Atmega, you'll know for sure if the chip is programmed and if it is receiving a good DMX signal. (Power LED blinks if it's getting power but no DMX, on solid if it's getting a good DMX signal)

Please describe what behavior you're seeing and we'll be glad to help you work thru it.

Warlock
11-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Power led was on solid...It worked it simply would not address when I went through the step-by-step RPM gave me....It's why it is such a confusing issue to me...I programmed the grinch dimmer easy enough...I spent like 4 hours trying to get it to work with no success...No idea why..
Thanks as always
Joe...

mschell
11-01-2010, 11:17 PM
If you pull out the DMX cable, does the power LED start blinking?

OK, then let's review the steps to set the address.

1. Power off the board.
2. Use Vixen or something else to set DMX channel 1 to the desired value of the start address. Note that this is the actual DMX value, not a percentage. So if you want the starting address to 32, you need to have the value that is being sent to channel 1 to 32.
3. Put the jumper on the pins marked "Address Program"
4. Apply power to the board - both RED and Green LEDs should be solid.
5. Wait 10-15 sec.
6. Turn power off
7. Remove jumper from pins.

Now, apply power to the board and test to see if the board responds to the start address. The Green LED will blink when a channel within the board's address range is changed.

What program are you using to send DMX to the board? I just tested with a DMX USB PRO dongle and the utility that comes with it to send DMX. I have also tried this with Vixen.

RPM
11-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Power led was on solid...It worked it simply would not address when I went through the step-by-step RPM gave me....It's why it is such a confusing issue to me...I programmed the grinch dimmer easy enough...I spent like 4 hours trying to get it to work with no success...No idea why..
Thanks as always
Joe...

Joe,

Are you sure you are using Vixen in actual intensity levels (0-255) and not
percentage intensity levels (0-100%)?
If you are in percent mode you will have a problem with setting the address.

Warlock
11-02-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm 100% positive there is 255 showing in the box when I changed it...So I set it to channel 17 and nothing....I went to test channels 17 through 32 and I got zero..I tested channel 1 and bingo...

RPM
11-02-2010, 04:59 AM
I'm 100% positive there is 255 showing in the box when I changed it...So I set it to channel 17 and nothing....I went to test channels 17 through 32 and I got zero..I tested channel 1 and bingo...

Are you seeing the RED power/error and GREEN activity LED's come on solid when you power up the board with the program jumper on?
Are you running the Vixen sequence BEFORE you put the "PROGRAM" jumper on and powering up the dimmer? If not, the dimmer will default back to a start channel of 1. If the dimmer "sees" all levels at 0 when the program jumper is on and power is cycled then it defaults to start channel 1.
It will also do this if you do not have the DMX cable connected when setting the start channel.
The dimmer uses the SUM of channels 1 & 2 when setting the DMX start channel, so if for example you wanted channel 17 then you could set channel 1 to level 17 and channel 2 to level 0. The opposite combination will also work, as would having channel 1 to level 10 and channel 2 to level 7.

Also, the sequence needs to have at least as many channels as the dimmer, so if it's a 16 channel dimmer then you need a sequence with at least that many channels.
The dimmer only "looks" at channels 1 & 2 when in channel set mode, but it's best to keep all other channels at level 0.

Robert

Warlock
11-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Yes Robert both lights were solid,vixen was running a 32 channel loop with only 1 and 2,1 was set to 17 and 2 was set to 0,I let it run for 5 minutes in the loop and still nothing got set...So what the issue is I have no idea...It first started that the dimmer (grinch) had no activity then I got that fixed and the green on the controller was blinking the whole time but still no address programming was workinng...