PDA

View Full Version : Attaching portafloods to roof?

Penfold
10-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Hello all!

I was wondering what the DIY community is doing to attach a Portaflood to the roof without drilling holes into the roof. Is there a clip that I can buy?

I have the Portaflood in a wally mart flood light enclosure you can buy for about $10. Below is a picture of the type of flood enclosure I am using. I am also taking the grill off the front.

Jrd
10-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Try a sandbag or some bricks?

Matt_Edwards
10-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Doesn't it depend more on the roofing material and slope?

For flat roof material, I read somewhere about ppl gluing course Wet&Dry sandpaper onto a plywood base. That stopped the light sliding down. I can't say I have tried it, as we have concrete tiles.

Jrd
10-30-2010, 07:20 PM
That's a good point, you would have to use different methods to keep the flood in place on different materials.

wjohn
10-31-2010, 03:28 AM
I use small sandbags You only need a couple pounds to hold them in place.

On a sloped roof (left to right) I don't have an elegant solution. I was think of making a few ply wood platforms so the the light sits horz and can angle at the wall Il still sand bag them.

jpb
11-08-2010, 10:21 PM
If it is a tiled roof you can slide back a tile and fit a bracket that fixes through the nail hole in the tile below.
Here are a couple of different ones that I use.

Penfold
11-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Those are all very good ideas. I will try the sandbags first. I have kind of a steep pitched roof. If that doesn't work, I was thinking of plan B that doesn't use the roof shingles but uses the one by six trim board and a metal "strap" bent to a 90 degree angle. We shall see.

Thanks to all that gave me ideas!