PDA

View Full Version : Chauvet Relay Pack?

svironmen24
11-25-2007, 01:46 AM
greeting everyone,

i'm completely new to everything so i'm going to be needing some help. i've downloaded Vixen and have been tinkering around with it. I've pretty much got a hang of it. From what i've read, i see that you can use a parallel port, or a serial port. i DJ on the side and own an 8 channel Chauvet relay pack. It has a serial port on it. Would i be able to plug a serial wire from my computer to the relay pack and control those channels with Vixen? I don't know much about how everything works yet so i figured everyone could help. I asked this on computerchristmas.com and was directed here to see if you DMX people could help at all. This might have been a real stupid question. If so, sorry for asking. Thanks!

Dan Rojtas

Greg in Canby
11-25-2007, 01:52 AM
I'm thinking about selling my Open DMX dongle (which powers my NSI dimmers through a NSI IF-501).

Search the forum for DMX entries and read as much as you can. Vixen has the ability to output DMX and that should switch your relay pack just fine.

svironmen24
11-25-2007, 03:14 AM
Do i need to do something else but make a program in Vixen and then hook up to the relay pack through the serial ports? or is that it and im good? my relay pack is not a dimmer, just an on/off. it seems like DMX are dimmers. will DMX plug-in's still run an on/off relay pack?

NogginBoink
11-25-2007, 10:47 AM
You'll need a Vixen plug-in to convert the data coming out of Vixen to a format the relay box can understand.

Do you have the specs for the relay box that you can link to here?

Greg in Canby
11-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Do you have the specs for the relay box that you can link to here?

That’s a good plan NogginBoink.

While we don’t know about your specific relay packs yet, my NSI relay packs go on and off at about 15% so a dimming signal will switch my relay packs.

However, when you program Vixen, just use on and off and skip dimming altogether . . . problem solved.

Just for clarity: USB cable out from computer to the DMX box then out to your dimmer with 5-pin DMX cable. I would guess you could use the 3 pin DMX as well.

svironmen24
11-25-2007, 01:54 PM
I don't really know anything about the relay pack. I can take pictures of the insides if you want to have some idea of it. What exactly do you wanna know and i'll see what i can find? Thanks for all the help so far.

cmurray
11-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Is it like

A http://platinum-records.com/Chauvet-Relay-Pack-prod8850.htm

Or B http://www.music123.com/Chauvet-DMX-4-Dimmer-Relay-Pack-803168-i1155793.Music123

or C not like any of those.

Do you have a manufacturer and model number.
Joel

svironmen24
11-25-2007, 03:44 PM
It's option A. Same exact thing. Only difference is the channels are in the opposite order, channel 1 where 8 is, and channel 8 where 1 is. Has the unswitched channel, as well as the line in/line out (which are serial ports). It's the same thing none the less.

DynamoBen
11-25-2007, 05:47 PM
If you look here http://www.chauvetlighting.com/fixture_tables/dimmer.shtml you will notice that this item is listed as a "Non-DMX" relay pack. I took a peak at the manual and there really wasn't anything that talked about how it is controllered. It only mentions two products that can be purchased to run it. I'm sorry to say that DMX isn't going to help you.

svironmen24
11-26-2007, 12:11 AM
i know its not DMX, but is there some way that i can use it to control my lights? someone on computerchristmas.com directed me here. figured the people in here would be the most capable to help.

Macrosill
11-26-2007, 09:44 AM
From doing some research about Chauvet controllers for the SR8 it appears as though it is simply 8 relays inside the unit. They specify a 9 pin connector, like a standard serial connector or DB9. This tells me that there are 8 switched pins and 1 common. Do some testing but it looks like you should be able to control this right off a parallel port or possible any of the controllers we use here. This if course depends on the connection polarity. I would think the parallel port would be fine.

cmurray
11-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Next simple question.
Pop the back off and show us a picture of the guts.
If there is no other circuitry other than the relays the 8 port parallel Brian mentioned will work fine.

You may want to run thru a 2803 to protect your parallel port.

Joel

JJGross
01-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Seeing as how it's a Chauvet relay with a DB9 connector on it, I'd bet it's multiplex. You can buy convertors on ebay, but by the time you throw everything together for something as compact as what you're using it for, you'd be better off just buying new DMX dimmers which also work as on-off relays,and ditch the relays you have on ebay to someone still using all the old MPx stuff. The Omega dimmers on ebay are under $100 and have 4 channels with 8 outlets and can handle 20A. Basically that's 8 PAR56 cans. Far ore power than mosr DMX stuff draws.

I think my MBT color changers that I replaced my PAR cans with each draw something like 1.5Amps. Eight of those doesn't come close to the power requirements of 8 PAR cans + dimmers they require and they're far more versatile (and lighter, more powerful, faster to setup-teardown, more durable & less fragile, more compact ... etc.).

Cheers,
- JJG