PDA

View Full Version : Extension cords

cmcright
10-19-2010, 08:13 PM
2 questions:
Is it possible to use christmas light strands as extension cords. And

I have seen guys talk on hear about taking indoor cords and cutting the ends off and making them outdoor cords, what is the process there? Just buy new ends and splice them on?

Thanks and sorry for the newb questions.

billyb27
10-19-2010, 08:47 PM
hey,
kinda a newb as well but from what I understand you can use christmas light strands as extenion cords to a point for example usually you can only attach so many light sets together and the ligths on the strans will be on but will still extend from a power source to another set of lights. Indoor extention cords can be used as outdoor extension cords no new parts needed. If you are buying new ones just read the label it should say indoor outdoor on it. Just be careful of how many amps you run through each cord
bill

jem5136
10-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Yes you can use lights as extension cords, I use them in my Halloween display, as long as you only put 2 or 3 strings on after the string. I usually take all but 4 of the bulbs off just to make it look better.

And yes you can use indoor cords and cut the plug off of them and use them for controllers, that is how i run all of my cords from my controllers.

Jesse

kychristmas
10-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Somewhere on this board, I read a great how-to on turning old strands into extension cords. It was very simple. I followed the guide on a couple strands and in 5 minutes of TV watching I had two 22ft Extension cords. I believe there are 3 sockets left on mine, but if I wanted to I could remove those, solder, and heat shrink back together.

I can't seem to find it, but I 99% certain its on this site

ErnieHorning
10-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Mike (Oldcgr) has a 'How to' on his site.

http://www.landolights.com/main/content/view/112/39

Dennis Cherry
10-20-2010, 08:56 AM
I cut out all the good wire without any sockets or plugs (cut the wire at the first light socket).

Keep the 2 wires as a pair and splice them to another set of wires and roll them up on some kind of reel. Keep doing that until you have one really long pair of wires.

You will now have a pile of sockets and plugs with 4-6 inches of wire also.

Now you can go measure in your display how long you need for a extension cord and go cut the length needed and the quantity also. splice back the plugs and sockets, add a couple of cable ties and your done.

You would be surprise how much extension cord wire you can get off of those 100 light sets of your old mini lights.

I found that light strings with a light spacing less than 4 inches is not worth salvaging the wire but still remove the plug and socket.

Use heat shrink tubing on all splices (3/32" or 1/8") will do the job.

Note:
I would not recommend this for long extension cords (>20 feet) for mini lights but will be fine for long LED light string extension cords.

Just my 2 cents worth.

cmcright
10-21-2010, 02:17 PM
You guys are awesome! Thanks for the input.

GodSpeed
11-02-2010, 10:15 AM
So glad i found this post. 2 years ago I had bought a ton of decorations from a lady husband I worked with. he just said if I bought A, B and C products that I needed to take everything. Well I sorted out all the good decorations and had roughly 10,000 mini lights, some C9 and C7 strands, a 10ft tree, some reindeer, blowmolds etc. But I also had roughly 4-6000 bad strands of minilights (either non working or really, really faded lights. And now that I found this thread I am in the process of making some extension cords to use on my Ren24SS's so I can use the good cords on other aspects of my display.

dmcole
11-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Not to say that I've done this or that I plan to do this, but for the last couple of years HD has offered a 10-percent discount on LEDs if you bring in a comparable number of strings of incandescent lights.

I've taken advantage of those offers and found that the guy doing the collecting is usually a seasonal employee not too devoted to his task. I've brought in plastic bags full of mini-lights and both times were asked, "How many strings?" I could have said 10 and I think he would have handed me 10 coupons.

I wonder if you brought in a bag of only the bulbs and four-inch pieces of wire (i.e.: the long strands and the plugs removed), if they could tell the difference? Or whether they would care?

YMMV.

\dmc