PDA

View Full Version : reuse-replace-recycle-and-restore

RRohn
10-09-2010, 02:40 AM
We all like a good yard sale or incredible bargins at thrift stores. Purchasing Light Elements for your display can hazardous if care is not given to the items in question. Be safe.
http://timbertownchristmas.blogspot.com/2010/08/reuse-replace-recycle-and-restore.html

Jrd
10-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Good article, I have some secondhand deer that I need to do some work on too, especially the motor that doesn't move...

Are you saying that icicles are bad to use on deer or just pointing out that they were used on Olive?

RRohn
10-13-2010, 10:51 PM
I was just saying that the previous owners put too many lights that were not safe on the deer.

Jrd
10-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Ahh, ok.

dirknerkle
10-14-2010, 12:14 AM
I was just saying that the previous owners put too many lights that were not safe on the deer.

What is the amperage rating of the average deer these days??? :mrgreen:

Jrd
10-14-2010, 12:24 AM
what is the amperage rating of the average deer these days??? :mrgreen:

LoL! :D

RRohn
10-14-2010, 12:40 AM
actually, i put a twinkle type 150 count icicle light string back on the deer so the amperage is about .45 amps.

Gebbinn
10-14-2010, 01:56 AM
the neat thing about the deer now (at least the ones I have) are the lights plug separate from the motor. I plugged the motors in to constant power, and then added the lights to one of the circuits in my display. The motors tend to strip fairly easily I have noticed. I had to superglue the plastic to the motor shaft.

oldcqr
10-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I am **ALL** about refurbishing, repairing, and re-purposing (safely 'natch) display stuff.

Just this year I restrung 3 different wireframes with new ropelight. Why throw away a $70 wireframe when for about $15 in parts and a couple of hours of enjoyable 'hobby time' it's as good as new?

I always attempt to repair the one or two strobes that go bad each season. If they are beyond hope they are scavenged for parts.

During the summer while watching TV, I tear apart old mini light strings and convert them into extension cords.

Many times, we get into the mindset of 'build build build'. I think it is just as enjoyable to stitch up an inflatable as it is to solder a new board.