PDA

View Full Version : Bags over enclosures???

Andy.wpg
10-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Now that I have my CG-2000 enclosures (thanks to Steve Hirst for helping out a Canadian), I have a question.

The Wiki mentions the enclosures, but not putting a bag over it. I have seen posts that mention bags over enclosures, however.

It gets really cold here in December, but freezing rain is not unknown.

Would bagging the enclosures help or hurt me? Since it is so cold, would it cause condensation to form?

Thanks again for all the help

Andy

sjwilson122
10-07-2010, 10:10 PM
I believe the CG-2000 boxes are weather tight so I do not see a need to bag them.

Scott

djulien
10-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Would bagging the enclosures help or hurt me? Since it is so cold, would it cause condensation to form?

Unless your enclosures are air-tight, condensation will form regardless of whether it is a bag or a plastic box. The important thing to keep in mind is that the condensation needs an easy way to exit once it does form (usually something like a small hole in the bottom or corners).

Bags are okay for the moisture, but not so good with physical conditions such as wind or heavy rain/hail. In those situations, they would need to be firmly attached, and strong enough not to tear.

don

steve_hirst
10-08-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm glad you got them.

Mactayl
10-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I've been using the Silica Gel Dry sacks and they really work very well when you seal enclousers up tight and they keep the moisture out and they are very cheap.

http://www.silicagelpackets.com/silica-gel-packets/

Jrd
10-09-2010, 11:03 PM
I've been using the Silica Gel Dry sacks and they really work very well when you seal enclousers up tight and they keep the moisture out and they are very cheap.

http://www.silicagelpackets.com/silica-gel-packets/

And they are reusable according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel#Properties):

Once saturated with water, the gel can be regenerated by heating it to 120 C (250 F) for two hours.

kychristmas
10-11-2010, 10:54 AM
I think a lot of people put the Bags on them to hide them a bit better. Those enclosures are meant for Telco equipment and are very weather resistant. I don't think you need to cover them.

I do remember seeing someone on here, covering with small bags and then spray painting the bag.

ErnieHorning
10-11-2010, 11:01 AM
I do remember seeing someone on here, covering with small bags and then spray painting the bag.Why not just spray paint the case? I hear Krylon for plastic works well.

theatretch85
10-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I had two cg1500 boxes laying down in the grass last year and we had a good 2 feet of snow over them at one point in the season, never had any issues. Both ren24's worked all season long, when I opened them up after the season they looked fine to me. Only had a few issues with tripped GFI's and that was when the snow was melting or when it was raining and I think it had more to do with the lights themselves or the cord connections in the snow.

This year I was considering putting a small stake on the backside and staking them in the ground, but i don't know that it would really be necessary. I think there is enough of a plastic lip in the bottom of the enclosure where the wiring enters/exits that its not really a concern. I think if i was really worried about it, i'd get a couple blocks of Duct Seal (http://www.homedepot.com/buy/building-materials/heating-venting-cooling/gardner-bender/1-pound-10pack-plugs-duct-seal-compound-66138.html) and put that around all the wiring and the holes in the enclosure. I paid less than $2 dollars at Menards for a 1lb block, looks like Home Depot has the same pricing.

budude
10-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I bagged a few of mine for a bit more insurance not just from the rain (which we get a lot of here in the Winter) but also passerby's since these particular boxes were 5-8' from the sidewalk. I used 2 gallon ziplock bags and zipped them up as much as possible but they weren't air-tight or anything. The controllers were hidden by coro-bells that I got at BigLots.

Greg in Canby
12-23-2010, 05:22 PM
I just found poop bags, yep poop bags, are a perfect size for my single SSR enclosures.

No need for paint. Turn it inside out, rubber band at the bottom, good to go.

Bio-degradable even!

TA-200 probably doesn't need it but I have been known to over engineer things.

Greg

dirknerkle
12-23-2010, 06:00 PM
I just found poop bags, yep poop bags, are a perfect size for my single SSR enclosures.

No need for paint. Turn it inside out, rubber band at the bottom, good to go.

Bio-degradable even!

TA-200 probably doesn't need it but I have been known to over engineer things.

Greg

LOL! Why bother turning them inside-out? It's a great deterrent -- nobody in their right mind would WANT to open a bag intended for dog poop!!! Instant security! :cool:

Greg in Canby
12-23-2010, 06:14 PM
LOL! Why bother turning them inside-out? It's a great deterrent -- nobody in their right mind would WANT to open a bag intended for dog poop!!! Instant security! :cool:
Dirknerkle,

You sir, are even more brilliant that BASF. They only make things better . . .

You make things AND make things BETTER.

Greg