PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my home CPU

olingerjccj
10-05-2010, 11:43 AM
On my personal home computer I cannot get DoityourselfChristmas page to load. I get the error page timed out. I tried to clear out all my temp ect files. I do not have a firewall and I reset my router back to the factory settings still no luck. I can get on fine with my work cpu so I am not sure. Any thoughts on this. Also every other web site will load fine.

Thanks
John

dmcole
10-05-2010, 12:56 PM
John:

Have you tried a different browser? If you're having problems with IE, maybe try Firefox or Opera.

\dmc

christmas-light
10-05-2010, 01:31 PM
On my personal home computer I cannot get DoityourselfChristmas page to load. I get the error page timed out. I tried to clear out all my temp ect files. I do not have a firewall and I reset my router back to the factory settings still no luck. I can get on fine with my work cpu so I am not sure. Any thoughts on this. Also every other web site will load fine.

Thanks
John

Then how did you post this ? LOL :lol:

Here try this link through this proxy to see if it helps (Just donīt log on ;) )

Do It Yourself Christmas Forums Through a Proxy Server (http://4.hidemyass.com/ip-1/encoded/Oi8vZG9pdHlvdXJzZWxmY2hyaXN0bWFzLmNvbS8%3D&f=norefer)

Take you time, it is slow ;)

dirknerkle
10-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Try reinstalling (or installing for the first time) Windows XP SP3. That can solve a world of problems and replace files that are either missing or invalid.

olingerjccj
10-05-2010, 10:24 PM
well I tried all the tricks, I found that it is my router/cable modem. I tried to reset it all back to original load and still no luck. I am going have to swap it tomm. Super wierd all other sites load fine. PS I am doing this from my work laptop :D.

John

olingerjccj
10-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Well I am not sure if it is my router, could it be my home IP address is blocked. I get the error The server at doityourselfchristmas.com is taking too long to respond. I tried to ping the site as well and times out.
I tried it on 2 computers on the home network and both get the same message.

Thanks
John

dirknerkle
10-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Try going to http://www.bandwidthplace.com and running a test from your PC. Check those numbers against what you're supposed to have with your ISP. That will somewhat help identify if your router/switch is having trouble...

olingerjccj
10-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Try going to http://www.bandwidthplace.com and running a test from your PC. Check those numbers against what you're supposed to have with your ISP. That will somewhat help identify if your router/switch is having trouble...

Do you mean a speed test if so I just did one and I get 23mbps down 9.40mbps up.

dirknerkle
10-07-2010, 11:43 PM
That pretty-much eliminates a bottleneck on your side. Must be somewhere else.

olingerjccj
10-07-2010, 11:49 PM
That pretty-much eliminates a bottleneck on your side. Must be somewhere else.

I am lost on this, I have very limited access on my work laptop which I am using now but cannot upload pics. I am using a aircard on my work laptop so it works when I plug in ethernet or go wireless to my home network it does not work and get the error. I think my home IP addres is blocked somehow, I think.

John

sjwilson122
10-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Can you get to other web sites on your home network? If you can, check with your ISP and see if they blocked the IP address for DIYC. Some ISP's block IP ranges if they are getting a huge amount of spam, malware, DOS attacks, etc. comming in from IP's that are somewhat close together. That way they stop the "bad guy's" but the "good guys" in that range also get blocked.

olingerjccj
10-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Can you get to other web sites on your home network? If you can, check with your ISP and see if they blocked the IP address for DIYC. Some ISP's block IP ranges if they are getting a huge amount of spam, malware, DOS attacks, etc. comming in from IP's that are somewhat close together. That way they stop the "bad guy's" but the "good guys" in that range also get blocked.

yes all other sites work fine, I will check with my isp (i work there) so should be easy enough to look into. is it possible that this site blocked my ip address? :confused:

sjwilson122
10-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Check with Brian (Macrosill), he is the site administrator.

also take a look at this thread
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12241

olingerjccj
10-13-2010, 11:45 AM
got it working, come to find out it was my router/cable it was a thompson homepoint modem. Finally switched out with modem only and it finally works. So now i can give you all some pics lol.

John