PDA

View Full Version : Mega star need Ideas

olingerjccj
09-29-2010, 12:05 AM
I am getting ready to build my stars i need 2. 1 will be about 6ft in height, i am going with the Holdman star but a bit different. The other will be about 4 ft high more of just a classic star pattern. i would like to build them out of pvc but not sure how to get the points to look good. or the bending thing with the heat gun so not sure. Any thoughts would be cool.

Thanks
John

Hard2kill
09-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Here are some stars that I made last year as a test project.They are 3 foot , however they could easily be adjusted and modified as required as you saw fit.You could also add different colours of lights.They are all plastic and perfect in all weather conditions and extremily easy and cheap to make.Anyhow here is the vid link below if your interested in the idea.

Kindest Regards

Russell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvELxo09DPo

Aurbo99
09-29-2010, 08:19 AM
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8991&highlight=star

Check the above thread

PVC, Mega Tree
PVC, Holdman Star
PVC, Mini Trees

All survived 2 separate glancing blows by Hurricanes last season.. they are going back up again in about 60 days!

olingerjccj
09-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Here are some stars that I made last year as a test project.They are 3 foot , however they could easily be adjusted and modified as required as you saw fit.You could also add different colours of lights.They are all plastic and perfect in all weather conditions and extremily easy and cheap to make.Anyhow here is the vid link below if your interested in the idea.

Kindest Regards

Russell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvELxo09DPo

This one is perfect for my mega tree, off to get the parts tonight.

Thanks
John

Hard2kill
09-29-2010, 11:47 PM
I am glad that you liked the vid and decided to give the stars a try , if you need anythiing please just let me know.I dought that you will these stars are extremly easy to build

Russell

olingerjccj
10-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Well i think i got my star. So I have 3 channels so the 1st star will be about 5 ft then inside that one make a 3.5ft star then inside that one make a 2ft star. So 3 stars different sizes. I can atach each one independently to the pole so they will not have to connect to each other. I tried it in vixen last night and it looks sweet. I kinda like duct tape vs tie wraps still not sure but hopefully gonna build it Sunday so we will see.

John

Hard2kill
10-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Duct tape wont last depending on where you live.Once the water gets in it will eventually break down the glue and pull apart , thats why I used the tie straps.I would say bends are the best with the fewest amount on connections or joints is the best.But hey use what ever you want its cheap and easy to fix in any event

Russell

olingerjccj
10-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I am gonna have to rethink this, On my star I cannot have any of the inside cross bars since I want to put a smaller star inside that one. So I may have to use a board and drill holes to get what I want. Here is a pic sorry my drawing skill kinda stink on this but just to get a Idea.
Each color is a smaller star...

John

Hard2kill
10-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Well you could use tie straps and suspend the stars from there points from one another etc.You can add tie straps together to get the desired length and the tighten and adjust as required as you go.This eliminates the use of boards and no holes required to be drilled.Afterwards just trim up the tie straps and you should be good to go

Russell

Aurbo99
10-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Looking at your concept I can see an alternate method using white pvc pipe and the various elbows and T joints.

Using the white pvc elbows, you can carefully relief cut the joint to make a 60degree corners out of a of a typical 90 joint.

T joints can be used to connect the stars or they can be used as stand-off legs to mount to a wall/plywood.

olingerjccj
10-03-2010, 09:21 AM
This is not working well for me, do i make every cut a 60 degree?

olingerjccj
10-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Update I thinks i got this, basically a puzzle of 45 and 90degree elbows. There is one spot on the star where i have to relief cut but should hold, Once I get the big one built it will be easier to build the other 2. Also these are going to be attached to a pole. Now to focus on my Tune to sign donation box. Then I am done building stuff. .