PDA

View Full Version : Help requested - Car horn relay

cgarwood
09-20-2010, 07:37 PM
I have an old car that has been sitting in my yard for some time and gets decorated with lights for my Christmas show. It is near the porch where candy will be handed out. For my halloween display I would like to rig up a switch (either computerized or a manual pushbutton) that would make the headlights turn on and the horn honk. Headlights are not a problem, my father replaced them with regular lightbulbs I can run from my Ren24 or 595 controller. As for the horn, I have no idea how to rig that up. I have 2 Ren24s and an 80 channel Olsen 595 setup. I want something that can be triggered from outside of the car as I'll be roaming around the yard with a wireless mic and voice changer.

I can usually follow schematics but know nothing about making new circuitry. If anyone could help out please let me know.

Bonus points if I can control it with the computer and also have a manual pushbutton override.

Any help is greatly appreciated

RichF
09-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Get a small 5v relay from RS and hook it up to your Olsen 595. YOu can do this with your headlights too

Wombat
09-20-2010, 08:24 PM
can even use one of those DC relay boards from the parallel port

Wombat

IdunBenhad
09-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Hi:
Normally, a car horn relay is activated by grounding one side of the relay coil. It is also 12vdc, as it operates from the battery.

Just make a connection to the horn relay with another set of relay contacts that go to ground and put a pushbutton in Parallel with the relay. Be sure you connect to the horn relays ground side. You can find the ground side by using a voltmeter and measuring from the relay coil connections to ground. Have someone press the horn ring and measure the voltage. The one that show NO voltage is the ground side. The other side will measure about 12 vdc

Jrd
09-20-2010, 10:42 PM
That sounds like a fun and frightening project, maybe you can post a video of all this in action after Halloween.

cgarwood
09-21-2010, 09:45 PM
I'll see what I can come up with. Getting ready to order a second 20,000cfm fog machine for the yard. Need to break out me Ren24s and double check the max amperage on the board. I'd like to add some 500watt halogen lights for lightning but don't want to overload my board

txag2008
09-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Need to break out me Ren24s and double check the max amperage on the board. I'd like to add some 500watt halogen lights for lightning but don't want to overload my board

I wouldn't try to output a 500w light straight from your Ren24. 500watt=2.54A You usually don't want to go over 2A on a channel. The triacs and trace widths aren't designed to handle that much amperage.

cgarwood
09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
That's what I was afraid of. Wouldn't 500 watts be closer to 4.5 amps? In the US, so its a 110VAC system, or is my math broken today? Both are possible!

Looking like I may not be able to use the 500watt halogens for it. I'm not sure my 595 relays can handle 5amps across an entire relay.

In other news, I have a second Hurricane 1300 fog machine on the way. I added a blog post (http://www.charlesgarwood.com/blog/?p=80) last year with a few pics of my first Hurricane 1300 in action. Going to be interesting to see what my yard looks like with two of them going

budude
09-23-2010, 01:01 PM
That's what I was afraid of. Wouldn't 500 watts be closer to 4.5 amps? In the US, so its a 110VAC system, or is my math broken today? Both are possible!

Looking like I may not be able to use the 500watt halogens for it. I'm not sure my 595 relays can handle 5amps across an entire relay.

In other news, I have a second Hurricane 1300 fog machine on the way. I added a blog post (http://www.charlesgarwood.com/blog/?p=80) last year with a few pics of my first Hurricane 1300 in action. Going to be interesting to see what my yard looks like with two of them going

You may want to just switch to a hockey puck style SSR (e.g. Crydom, Opto22) since they can usually handle high amps. I bought a Hurricane 1300 as well this year. I made a cooler out of a plastic bin and dryer vent tubing and then have a 20' section of irrigation hose going out of that. I fired it up (w/o the ice) and forgot the living room windows were open - my wife was not amused... :rolleyes: (worked great though :mrgreen:)

cgarwood
09-23-2010, 01:10 PM
For the price, the 1300 just can't be beat. I won't even waste my money on small ones anymore. Just throw another 1300 (or maybe an 1100 i guess if you don't want 20,000cfm) into the mix. I ran it non-stop for 30 minutes last year when the wind picked up and it dumped fog out the entire time.

I think I'm going to try the irrigation hose method this year with one of my two machines. Could you maybe post some pics/video of the 1300 in action with the irrigation hose?

budude
09-23-2010, 01:24 PM
For the price, the 1300 just can't be beat. I won't even waste my money on small ones anymore. Just throw another 1300 (or maybe an 1100 i guess if you don't want 20,000cfm) into the mix. I ran it non-stop for 30 minutes last year when the wind picked up and it dumped fog out the entire time.

I think I'm going to try the irrigation hose method this year with one of my two machines. Could you maybe post some pics/video of the 1300 in action with the irrigation hose?

I don't have live action shots/video but have some of the parts - there are dozens of examples on YouTube for the chiller so it's nothing new. The 20' section (actually 2x 10') of pipe is probably as far as the fog will go - I capped off the end to keep the back pressure up to go out the holes a little better. I haven't tried it with the chiller full of ice yet so I'll try and do that this weekend and take some shots. I'm using Froggy's Fog Swamp Juice - not sure if this is any better than the cheaper stuff but it's only for one night anyway...

cgarwood
09-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Sad day.

I got some irrigation hose and broke my hurricane 1300 back out of the box after its 6-month break from fogging.

Fire up the machine and wait. I get the green light and push the Manual fog button. I can hear a light humming sound from the machine. No fog comes out.

Turn the machine off and back on, it makes a couple clicking sounds and gives me the green light again. Push the button and still no fog.

:(

Glad I have another on the way.

4 days ago marked 1 year after i got it, and probably the end of the warranty...

DIY Guy
09-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Sad day.

I got some irrigation hose and broke my hurricane 1300 back out of the box after its 6-month break from fogging.

Fire up the machine and wait. I get the green light and push the Manual fog button. I can hear a light humming sound from the machine. No fog comes out.

Turn the machine off and back on, it makes a couple clicking sounds and gives me the green light again. Push the button and still no fog.

:(

Glad I have another on the way.

4 days ago marked 1 year after i got it, and probably the end of the warranty...

What fog juice did you use last year? One thing about Froggy's is you can leave it in the machine and it won't gum it up.

Check and see if your lines are clear.

cgarwood
09-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Fog juice was mbt brand. Got it from the local sound/lighting equipment dealer.

When I was finished with it (post halloween and post new years) I ran the recommended distilled water/vinegar solution through it to clean it out.

I'm going to call Chauvet tomorrow and see if they'll still honor the warranty... Anything simple to check without tearing into the thing?

DIY Guy
09-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Fog juice was mbt brand. Got it from the local sound/lighting equipment dealer.

When I was finished with it (post halloween and post new years) I ran the recommended distilled water/vinegar solution through it to clean it out.

I'm going to call Chauvet tomorrow and see if they'll still honor the warranty... Anything simple to check without tearing into the thing?

I've never had a problem, so I'm not sure. You might try over at one of the Halloween sites, as they run into fogger problems a lot.

cgarwood
09-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Called Chauvet and they said they'll make an exception and fix it under warranty since it expired 4 days ago. Got an RMA number and will be sending it back this week for repairs. Thankfully I ordered a second one a few days ago so I'll at least have one this halloween if the other doesn't make it back.

Service Rep said that you should use it at least once a month to keep it from clogging up. I'll have to remember that. Last year I just ran the cleaning solution and boxed it up from January until now.

dirknerkle
09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Service Rep said that you should use it at least once a month to keep it from clogging up. I'll have to remember that. Last year I just ran the cleaning solution and boxed it up from January until now.

That's preposterous and doesn't make sense. If true, it's a design flaw they should correct. There has to be a way to "winterize" a gizmo like that.

theatretch85
09-29-2010, 02:10 PM
I have the hurricane f1700 and just last year I found out the pump has gone out on it. Had it for several years with out issues, called up chauvet and found out the pump is going to cost me about 90 bucks with shipping since its long out of warranty (and this one has been discontinued). I like the 1700 watt heater though, less time to warm up in between fog cycles; plus I have the DMX adapter for it too.