PDA

View Full Version : Event Sequence Music - Keyboard Options

newspire
11-22-2007, 09:34 PM
In the Event Sequence Music screen it would be great if there was an option to change the behavior of key presses. Currently a key press just marks a location with a single on lasting one interval. I'd like the selected channel to stay on as long as the key is pressed. Then sequences could be entered like you were playing a piano.

Thanks!

PS - I just turned on my first 16 channel light system. It looks great! This is so fun!

zaker
11-22-2007, 09:53 PM
If you hold the key down, it should keep turning on the cells in that row. Give it a try, I know it work with the spacebar.

tom

fcky529
11-23-2007, 01:27 AM
some of the wireless and other fancy media keyboards have that problem, you can change the settings of the keyboard software or try a different one.

I know I had problems with the wireless one that I have

NogginBoink
11-23-2007, 01:35 AM
I think KC is listening to the KeyPress event, which pauses between the initial keydown and the repeat key downs (based on your preferences in the Keyboard control panel), so you can end up with a gap there.

KC, would it be a simple fix to listen for KeyDown and KeyUp instead of KeyPress, if that's what you're doing?

Walden
11-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Wait so i can do alot of my sequencing by just pressing a key down?? How did i miss this

Walden
11-23-2007, 03:26 AM
So do i go along programing my songs using the keyboard?

klanger
11-23-2007, 04:02 AM
What I do is, highlight where i want to turn channels on/off , then use the space bar to toggle on or off.

newspire
11-23-2007, 11:55 AM
This is just to clarify and give some background.

I originally posted this in the bug list and was told that the single on event is the designed behavior. Currently I get an on when I press the key and then an off determined by the keyboard repeat delay setting in Windows then ons as long as I hold down the key.

I've tried setting the repeat delay as low as it will go but I still get a 300ms gap between the first on and the rest.

I see this behavior on 2 lap tops and one desktop.

While I can see usefulness of the current behavior I also think it would be cool to be able to hold the key down and get a constant stream of ons as long as I hold down the key. Currently I have to go back and fill in the gaps caused by every key press.

Walden
11-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Ok, Is there a certain window i have to open to be able to do this. I'm asking if you can program the sequence in real time while the song is playing.

cmurray
11-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Just select a channel...
Hit play...
and tap away......

I think the space bar is the only key that works on the sequencing grid.

JOel

Walden
11-23-2007, 01:46 PM
lol Thank you, I tried to figure this out a 2:30 in thhe morning and my brain was not working. This will speed the process alot.

KC
11-23-2007, 05:42 PM
newspire - I think this would be really useful, so it's on the list. No guarantee on when, but it's at least on the list. Thanks for the request.

TERBObob
11-28-2007, 06:55 PM
WALDEN ,
In VIXEN ,
View the pics below , then click as the time comes .
In the second picture , the CHANNELS are auto selected in numerical order ( which , you can change of course to letters , or anything you choose thats on your keyboard )
Then , when you click on the PLAY button ( which looks like that on a CD payer , or .. lots of other items that utilize that symol )
Then you will have a few seconds wait before the song plays .
Once the song plays , simply hit the numbe keys to how ever you wish to the beat of the music . You can use ALL the keys , or any single or multiples you choose . Then you will need to add your IMAGE and ( I would suggest change the colors of each channel so you don;t get confused with which one is which .)

Sorry , I assumed you already chose your song , but if not , simply clcik on the area that says CHOOSE SONG . :wink:
Hope this helps