PDA

View Full Version : clear plastic sheeting

asylvest
09-17-2010, 01:18 PM
any ideas on where I can get clear plastic sheeting?

I'm thinking of making little 18" to 24" tall clear cones (tiny trees) with LEDsticks inside, lightly frosted so the whole thing glows when lit.

Something like the funnel Adam Savage made for "Ping Pong Ball Salvage"

Ideas??

dmoore
09-17-2010, 01:55 PM
any ideas on where I can get clear plastic sheeting?

I'm thinking of making little 18" to 24" tall clear cones (tiny trees) with LEDsticks inside, lightly frosted so the whole thing glows when lit.

Something like the funnel Adam Savage made for "Ping Pong Ball Salvage"

Ideas??

Like this:

http://www.vimeo.com/13722462

My cost was around $8 without the LEDs or controller.

asylvest
09-17-2010, 02:17 PM
YES YES YES!!!!

TOO COOL -- now, where did you get the material you made it from?

Skunberg
09-17-2010, 03:04 PM
How about coro rolled into a tube, then cut out triangles from one end, fold in the tips to make a cone.

djulien
09-17-2010, 10:30 PM

In another thread, someone wrapped their mini-trees with clear plastic wrap (I think they used a roll of shipping plastic, but cling-wrap type stuff from the grocery store would also work). It wasn't exactly "frosted", but it was slightly translucent so it diffused the light and gave a nice effect, more like ice than frost. So, you could start with a 3D figure made out of wire or fencing, put the lights inside, then wrap it with the plastic.

don

dmoore
09-17-2010, 11:23 PM
YES YES YES!!!!

TOO COOL -- now, where did you get the material you made it from?

White 4mm coro.

T.D.Sutton
09-18-2010, 01:35 AM
I put "Bubble Wrap" plastic around some 3 Ft high cone shaped Mini Trees last year and projected Red / Green / White 12 Volt 50 Watt "Down Light" lamps facing upwards into the "Tree" from below. It was very effective as the bubbles gave a random dispersion of the light. The "Shiny side" was facing outwards, and keeps the weather out of the lamps - my 2 cents worth :-) Terry

Macrosill
09-18-2010, 07:50 AM
I put "Bubble Wrap" plastic around some 3 Ft high cone shaped Mini Trees last year and projected Red / Green / White 12 Volt 50 Watt "Down Light" lamps facing upwards into the "Tree" from below. It was very effective as the bubbles gave a random dispersion of the light. The "Shiny side" was facing outwards, and keeps the weather out of the lamps - my 2 cents worth :-) Terry

Do you have any pictures?

So there are no other lights in the mini tree? Only the single bulb?

T.D.Sutton
09-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Hi Brian, In answer to your question, there are three 50 Watt lamps in each tree, each on a separate channel, mounted in a triangular formation within a 12 inch approximate diameter "Cake Tin". As they are all white lamps I put a green and a red color gel over the appropriate lamps to color the light.

Last year I was running short of time, and enough lights to make suitable "Mini Trees" and figured out I could get away with this setup, and used four of them across the front of the property using a total of 12 channels, they were very effective.

The good bit from my perspective was that the bulk of the components, light holders, transformers, tins, etc came from the local rubbish "Recycling Centre" for the princley sum of about $5.00. I cabled them out to the location through some high current (12 Volt) multicable that I happend to have on hand, which came from my "former life" :-)

If I can figure out how to post Pic's I will arrange some. Terry

dmcole
09-18-2010, 12:35 PM
In another thread, someone wrapped their mini-trees with clear plastic wrap (I think they used a roll of shipping plastic, but cling-wrap type stuff from the grocery store would also work).

Yeah, I think that was me.

I bought this stuff: http://www.staples.com/Reynolon-5044-PVC-(75-Gauge)-Shrink-Film-10-x-500/product_667632

But I like the idea of bubble wrap if you were going to put the lights inside.

\dmc

T.D.Sutton
09-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Hi Brian, As requested attached are some Pic's of my last years "Mini Tree" creations :-) Apologies for the rough pics of them in action through the front fence last Christmas, "excised" from a wider shot of the whole display. In daylight they don't look much as the photo shows, but much nicer in the dark :-) Cheers, Terry

75227523 7520 7521