PDA

View Full Version : SSR Question

dgreen
11-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Hey all,
I was wondering what size the hot wire had to be from the SSR board to the outlet.
I think I read you can only run 1 amp across each channel. I do not know how to convert that to wire size.

Thanks

zaker
11-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Depends which SSR you are using, but without heat sinks, 1A per channel is safe.

I use outdoor extension cords, 16ga I think, to each SSR box.

A chart of guages/ratings is http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

tom

NogginBoink
11-22-2007, 10:49 AM
You can draw as much current as your TRIAC is rated for. (Assuming proper heatsinking of the TRIAC.) Check the datasheet for the part number you're using.

In general, a string of 100 mini lights draws about a third of an amp.

If you search the archives here, you'll find more information than you ever wanted to know about wire gauge and current draw.

Go to the local hardware store and note the ratings on 12 gauge, 14 gauge, and 16 gauge extension cords. Looking online, I see 50ft 14 gauge rated 13 amps and 25 ft 16 gauge rated at 13 amps.

16 gauge is likely plenty for anything you're going to have on the hot end of an SSR.

pete
11-22-2007, 10:50 AM
just keep in mind that a 16 ga extension cord can support upto 4300 mini lights. work from there

pete

robots4joey
11-22-2007, 11:02 AM
I had space problems with my SSR's and so I used 20 gage. I will only be running an amp or so per channel, so I did the math and it was definitely fine(can't remember what it was rated for exactly, but it was 120V, and at least 10 amps (or something close to that)

Another way I thought about it is that the strings of mini lights have very small wires (especially the older ones) and you are allowed to connect 3-4 end to end with no problems, So if you use a gauge heavier than that, you should be good.

Although if you have no problems with space I would recommend 16 gauge.