PDA

View Full Version : Idea too simple, must be a bad idea?

lboucher
09-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Hi All

So I got a fogger question.
Background: Never ran a fogger before, picked up a 40 dollar fogger for 8 bucks at walmart last year.

I don't really care to have control over the fogger, will probably only have a max of 2 dozen channels for halloween.

So really all I want is the fogger to be always on.
This fogger just has a little green light that goes on when its ready and a manual switch.

The simplest solution seems to be to just zip tie the switch down.
Is there something horrible wrong from a safety perspective here? Seems way to easy. I assume there must be a fog fluid level switch to turn it off if fluid runs out, but maybe I am wrong.

Just so people don't think I am to crazy I only intend to run it like 2 nights with it sitting directly outside a window I will be watching kids come for candy. (Man that just sounds like the wierdest stalker thing to say.) So I will be watching it and only for a few hours.

Also, I see people make chillers to get the fog to stick to the ground. For this small fogger I was thinking I might just get a bit of pvc and split the fog stream and pipe it into two bushes. I figure just diffusing the fog will chill it enough and the bushes giving off fog would look cool.

Am I crazy or is this really that easy.

Thanks
Lucas

rokkett
09-04-2010, 07:38 PM
A manual momentary on switch for generating the fog? On the machine? Never seen one like that.

Usually they have on/off switch, and then the fog will generate once it reaches the correct temperature. Once the temp drops, the pump will turn off, and allow the chamber to reheat.

The cheap ones will not detect the lack of fog juice and will run the pump dry - which may damage the pump. So it is a good idea to not leave it alone.

But, yes, you should be able to turn it on and let it go for a couple of hours. Just be aware that you will not get constant fog. It will continue the heat up/smoke (cool down) cycle repeatedly.

lboucher
09-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Yep, manual momentary switch. Would take a pic if I could find the darn camera.

Did some testing tonight. Does seem the pump turns off if the fluid gets low. Full tank should give me about an hour. Unit stay really hot though, so probably best to make sure I don't leave it on overnight.

Awesome thats all i need to do is use 1 zip tie, not bad for 8 bucks. At that price I might just deem it fun (although completely unnessary) to buy 3 more to completely fog the neighborhood next year.

NowThisIsScary
09-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Yep, manual momentary switch. Would take a pic if I could find the darn camera.

Did some testing tonight. Does seem the pump turns off if the fluid gets low. Full tank should give me about an hour. Unit stay really hot though, so probably best to make sure I don't leave it on overnight.

Awesome thats all i need to do is use 1 zip tie, not bad for 8 bucks. At that price I might just deem it fun (although completely unnessary) to buy 3 more to completely fog the neighborhood next year.

I got a few of those also, I added relays to them with the contacts across the switch terminals. Powered with wall warts and X10 modules. Now they are remote controlled.

rokkett
09-04-2010, 08:42 PM
That is great that it detects the low fluid. I wish mine did. I burnt out a pump several years ago when I forget to turn on off overnight...

... but yeah, I run mine for several hours on halloween every year just as you want to to...

StandingInAwe85
09-04-2010, 10:10 PM
The only difference between this idea and what I've done for the past 8 years is that I'm too cheap for zip ties and have used duct tape to hold it down. Anyway, I just want to second the comment about watching it, they will run with the pump dry, and thus damage it. Then again, there's nothing that says you can't mod it a little and give it a bigger tank for fog that will last all night. The one that's in it probably won't last more than an hour or two.