PDA

View Full Version : Holdman star questions

txag2008
09-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Looking to build a cutout star based on the Holdman Star (http://www.holdman.com/christmas/star/) design.

Since the star has a 175 C9's and is only 3 channels, how is it able to be controlled with a presumed 2A max for each channel? (31 C9's at 7watts/bulb is already 2A) Do the '3' channels actually have to be more than that, but then just treated as 3 channels when sequenced within Vixen?

On another side note regarding the star. Do any of yall have any best ways to use mini's with the plywood cutout such as this? I'm thinking the best way would be to just find the right drillbit size and just wedge the mini's into the drilled out holes. Thoughts?

xtreme christmas
09-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Maybe a little hot glue to help stop movement

ctmal
09-02-2010, 03:12 PM
As for the 3 channel question...
We use C7's for ours. We found that there was only 1 section of the 3 that went over what we wanted so we just split that section into 2(so we have 4 channels but 2 of them are always the same).

I'll try to get my brother to chime in on the building part of the question since he's the one that put ours together.

txag2008
09-02-2010, 03:33 PM
We use C7's for ours
Did you use the 5watt C7s? because most of the C7s actually use the same 7watts as the C9s.

That'd be great if you could get some more info. Do you know the size of yours? Holdman says his is 5'10" but we were thinking about making our more like 4' and just adjusting the spacing of the lights accordingly.

malonem68
09-02-2010, 04:02 PM
I can measure ours and post it when I can.

We used the Holdman template and made it a bit smaller...I think it may be between 4 and 5 feet. The one issue we ran into when spreading out the lights is that at the top and bottom points, it gets so narrow that we couldn't fit the second to last bulbs right next to each other.

We decided to offset them slighty so they could fit...you don't notice a thing from the ground.

So if you are going to go smaller, keep that in mind.

ctmal
09-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Did you use the 5watt C7s? because most of the C7s actually use the same 7watts as the C9s.

That'd be great if you could get some more info. Do you know the size of yours? Holdman says his is 5'10" but we were thinking about making our more like 4' and just adjusting the spacing of the lights accordingly.

I'm not sure but what we did was after my brother built the star I took a measurement of amps with a kill-o-watt(great tool if you don't have one). From there I decided which channels were ok and which one I wanted to split. If I remember correctly 2 of the channels ran in the 1.5 amp range and 1 went to about 2.5 amps. The latter I just separated into 2 channels.

Rainlover
09-03-2010, 09:52 AM
I built a Holdman star with C9 retro leds. It is a little over 6' tall.Draws a total of 175 watts.
I also built a smaller one with C7 retro leds. It is about 4' tall.
Here is a quick video of the C9 star. It was taken with my phone so it is not a great video.
http://www.vimeo.com/13289488

John

dmoore
09-05-2010, 10:00 AM
On another side note regarding the star. Do any of yall have any best ways to use mini's with the plywood cutout such as this? I'm thinking the best way would be to just find the right drillbit size and just wedge the mini's into the drilled out holes. Thoughts?

I've used plywood before and it's not a good solution for mounting mini-lights by drilling holes through the plywood.

Aussie Ryan
09-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I've used plywood before and it's not a good solution for mounting mini-lights by drilling holes through the plywood.

I just completed mine with mini's and will post the how too soon..... not the greatest experience but it sure looks good

txag2008
11-08-2010, 12:46 PM
My brother did some awesome work on the star here recently. It's now all complete.

127 C9's
7.4A
9 channels

We'll be mounting it in a pretty interesting way as well.

http://i55.tinypic.com/qzhvr8.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/zvvf5k.jpg

ctmal
11-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Very nice. I would like to see your mounting...I would love to make ours lighter.

txag2008
11-08-2010, 01:08 PM
The star will be going atop of our chimney. We plan on running a 2x4 all the way down with a few inner chimney supports then extending the 2x4 to connect to the backside of the star.

bnradams
11-08-2010, 01:15 PM
I finished mine on a smaller than Holdman scale with mini lights about two weeks ago. Its about 4' tall, uses 6 channels on 1/2" ply wood. I drilled small holes at 1" spacing that were just big enough for the glass portion of the bulb to fit through, then I counter bored on the back side with a 1/2" bit with a stop collar to recess the body of the light into the ply wood. This made all but about 1/8" of the glass lamp to petrude through the front of the plywood. Then secured the body to the wood with a small touch of hot glue, just enough to hold the lamp in but small enough to allow me to 'pop' one out to replace a lamp if needed. For my 6 channels; 1ea red,green and white staggered to form a cross inside the star, 1 white for the 'rays' of the star. 1 white for the angle shapes of the star (look like <>), and 1 for the outline of the cross. I will have to post some pics later when Im not at work ;)

bnradams
11-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Here's a pic of mine using mini lights on 1" centers....

And here's a video....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOGKFG_cV38

K-State Fan
11-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I am finishing up my star now. I did it out of sheetmetal with additional supports added to the back. This is a pdf of the autocad drawing.

K-State Fan
11-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Finished assembling the star on Sunday. Now I just have to hang it.

txag2008
11-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Finished assembling the star on Sunday. Now I just have to hang it.

Very clean and well done.

Here is ours finished up. 9 channels
http://www.lightsofnazareth.com/star.html

griffixdc
10-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Looking to build a cutout star based on the Holdman Star (http://www.holdman.com/christmas/star/) design.

Since the star has a 175 C9's and is only 3 channels, how is it able to be controlled with a presumed 2A max for each channel? (31 C9's at 7watts/bulb is already 2A) Do the '3' channels actually have to be more than that, but then just treated as 3 channels when sequenced within Vixen?

only thought this was necessarily because i am in the development for making my own Holdman star from the C9 lights that were generously donated to me :) from a member on this forum.....there is not a 2 amp max on a LOR board in fact the standard LOR board can handle 7 amps per channel MAX to the max amp input(meaning you cant draw more than you put in ). Renard24SS have a supposed 5 amp max per channel(although would not use more than 3 amps) with not using more than 15 amps per side(this is with large heat sink)....
i am going to build this star but his version is a little big, i will shrink down maybe a foot which then equals less lights which equals a happier board :) i might paint the star potion white so there is something to look at during the day rather than a ugly circle with 2 points

Pwmcguire
10-27-2011, 07:58 PM

I used 5 channels and treat 4 channels as 2

txag2008
10-28-2011, 01:57 AM
http://www.lightsofnazareth.com/star.html
We ended up going with 9 different channels for the star. It gave use plenty of flexibility to sequence the star in different motions.

LightUp
10-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Just discovered this thread.
I too am making a Holdman-type star using 168 mini-lights on a 14.5" X 24" piece of plywood. I finished the layout in CorelDraw based on the Holdman larger pattern, but scaled more compactly for the mini-lights.

I also plan to design a 168 channel controller since I want to control each 2.5V light bulb. This is my first entry into the blinky lights and will make this an experimental project to see what I'm in for. I don't expect it to be ready for this Christmas due to my slow pace.:cwaniak:

Peter

N7XG
10-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Peter,

Can you share your drawings with us?

LightUp
10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Peter,

Here is a photo of my drilling guide, printed from CorelDraw. The CorelDraw cdr file would not list so I couldn't attach it.

CaptKirk
10-31-2011, 04:54 PM
What if you printed or exported it to a PDF, or JPG or some other format like that?

LightUp
10-31-2011, 05:16 PM
What if you printed or exported it to a PDF, or JPG or some other format like that?

Yes, I can do that. It may also depend on what the end user wanted to do with my files, since a jpg will lose the vectorized drawing. Not sure what a pdf import does in CorelDraw.

kychristmas
10-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Yes, I can do that. It may also depend on what the end user wanted to do with my files, since a jpg will lose the vectorized drawing. Not sure what a pdf import does in CorelDraw.

I have it. I was adding the outline of the board to your image. I will then export to a few formats and post here or in the files section.

Had to do the halloween thing with the family. Well not "had to", GOT TO.

The easyiest way to do a PDF is to use a PDF print driver. There are a ton of free ones.

dirknerkle
10-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Had to do the halloween thing with the family. Well not "had to", GOT TO.

Attaboy, Kelly! You get EXTRA points tonite...

Greg in Canby
10-31-2011, 09:40 PM
. . . printed from CorelDraw.
Another Corel user, I'm not alone! I have not had much luck exporting a .cdr to a .pdf - BUT - I'm still using Draw 8.

Let us know how it goes.

Greg

Pwmcguire
10-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Peter,

I found it easy to lay it out a tape measure and a straight edge, a screw and string, use the picture as a guide