PDA

View Full Version : lighting rig

Jameske
09-01-2010, 02:11 AM
I am trying to put together a lighting setup for a primary school concert (about 70-90 people in the whole school). As I've been thinking about what lights and hardware I will need i've com across a few questionmarks!

What sort of globes work well for spot lights or are the spots out there already to use? Is there an ultimate Watt level?

If I use a Renard controller or similar hardware will it be able to contol the globes (Enough output power for the globes and also dimming)?

dirknerkle
09-01-2010, 10:27 AM
A Renard controller with on-board triacs typically can handle up to about 2 amps per channel, although it's not realistic to expect a 24-channel controller to handle 48 amps. Since watts = amps x volts, a 500-watt light would require about 4 amps of current (500/120 = 4). An easy way to keep calculations in your head is to think of a 100-watt bulb at about 1 amp current and that will give you a little safety headroom.

Of course, another issue is the circuit to which lights are connected -- a 15amp circuit only provides up to 1800 watts. But bear in mind that's the max -- it's not a great idea to push the limits that way, but aim for about 80% of the max to provide a level of safety. This would put the same circuit at about 1440 watts in actual use.

ncc1701mda
09-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Are you considering buying true theatre / DJ lights or are you planning to use flood / spot lights and holders from a hardware store? The former will give you better results but are far more expensive and you won't be able to use a standard Ren to control them (typical power ratings for theatre / DJ lamps are 250 - 500W min and a Ren will only handle about 200W per channel safely and that doesn't take into account the max current limit of the board (on a RenSS16 the fuses are 10A per bank of 8 channels - so 1000W max for 8 channels)). For a small space you can get by with the hardware store bulbs and holders and if you limit yourself to using 100W lamps (incandescent only - no CFL) then you could conceivably run those with a Ren.

Mike

n1ist
09-01-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm guessing Jameske is not from the US ("globe" is more of a UK term than a US term). For a small stage, I'd look into small outdoor halogen lights (150W/110V here in the US) or conventional clip-on reflector lamps. I have made a set of footlights using those halogens and a DMX4 for dimming, and I know that others have put PAR38 bulbs in coffee cans.

Regular stage lighting is mainly (here in 110V-land) 375W, 575W, and 1kW, all of which are too large for a Ren to handle.

I don't know the UK regs; here you can only use SO cord for cables on stage (except for certain specific applications like twofers and whips), and DIY may not be allowed by fire safety regs.

Jameske
09-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Thankyou all for your replies, and yes I'm not from the US but Australia!
I wasn't planning on buying DJ lights as such - due to cost and now the fact that a Renard wouldn't run them! However, if the renard can run 240v AC around its circuit board I maybe able to use 100W lights running at 500mA.
Also, if I were to make some lights just for colour as well, would say 18-50 superbright LEDs work ok (per light) running off a 12v driver?

thanks again
james

Matt_Edwards
09-01-2010, 06:01 PM
James,
As the posts below indicate the light intensity for production are usually pretty high. Most LED spots don't really make the mark in terms of PAR56 of PAR64 replacement.

There is a fair amount of LED work happening in Aus. Where in Aus are you located?

Jameske
09-02-2010, 02:28 AM
What are you thoughts on the following;

Par 30 light
Globe holder (http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SL2972&CATID=21&form=CAT&SUBCATID=679)

Globe for above (http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SL2973&CATID=21&form=CAT&SUBCATID=679)

Par 36
Globe holder (http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SL2960&CATID=21&form=CAT&SUBCATID=676)

Globe for above (http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SL2964&keywords=SL2964&form=KEYWORD)

Thanks for your time,
James

ncc1701mda
09-02-2010, 07:42 AM
For stage lights I think the PAR 30 would be a better bet - and at 100W you should be able to use 1 REN channel per light with no problems.

Mike

Jameske
09-02-2010, 03:16 PM
What would be the most appropriate Ren board to use with these lights?

ncc1701mda
09-07-2010, 06:38 AM
I don't know that any one is more appropriate than another, but I am not an expert on Renard controllers - the only ones I have built are RenSS 16s and I run them with a DMX dongle. Some of the decision may depend on the placement of your lights - if they are in several different locations spaced far apart then you may want to user multiple Ren controllers with low channel counts to allow easier connection to the lights. If you are running just 16 lights and they are all on the same bar you could use one RenSS-16. Since you are in Australia I don't know if you can use RenSS at all... There is probably information in the wiki on the various Renard controllers that may help you decide. Good luck!

Mike

dirknerkle
09-07-2010, 11:11 AM
The SS boards are 120vac only. Frank's Ren24 (with on-board triacs) has a dual-voltage mode.