PDA

View Full Version : Fairy/wedding lights

olingerjccj
08-25-2010, 10:10 PM
I have been looking around, these are the typical ebay ones. I have been looking around and there are some posts on how to modify them taking out the box. I am though wondering if these things are really worth messing with. Good price but just not sure.

John

dirknerkle
08-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah... I have about a dozen of them John, and I'm not sure just yet either. What I have not enjoyed is all the tinkering you have to do with LEDs -- I just haven't been able to see the bang for the buck yet.

However, they did provide me with a lot of stuff to experiment with without spending a lot of money, so I've got that goin' for me...

jerryb721
08-26-2010, 10:40 PM
I bought a bunch of these a few years ago and not knowing anything just took the boxes off, wired the 4 leads together to the plug and the common (neutral) to the other wire on the plug.
No capacitor, no rectifier, only thing I did was solder a fuse on the wire for safety, and actually the first year didn't even have the fuse.
Some came set up for 220 with a plug adapter. I did all the same.

They looked pretty good to me, nice and bright, but I would say the wire is not high quality. It's clear and I don't really think it's outdoor wire. The first ones I bought the wire got a little stiff after two years.

I ran them for 3 years like that and only stopped because all of the postings I read pretty much lead me to believe that you can't do that. I don't know it worked for me.

I have seen a couple postings here on how to bypass the box so it's still in place but the functions no longer work. One of them seemed to just do the same thing I did but left the box on the line.

Hope this helps.