PDA

View Full Version : Connection Issues?

dirknerkle
08-24-2010, 10:30 PM
I've been having trouble getting into DIYC... and just tonite, I recall being at the home page and there were about 32 members and 44 guests on-line. It was about 9:15 pm cdt, and suddenly DIYC was non-responsive. I switched my connection to a different gateway but that didn't work, either. The site just wasn't available. About 5 minutes later, I connected and there were 7 users on line.

That sure smacks of a server reset. Are we having a server problem? Is the site getting overloaded? Brian, any ideas??? :-(

budude
08-24-2010, 10:37 PM
same here - actually I see it probabably once a day - maybe every other day - noon time (PT) is usually the worst.

sjwilson122
08-24-2010, 11:03 PM
I have been having the same kind of issues for a couple of weeks. Will usually get a message that page cannot be displayed or cannot be found. I wait about 5 minutes and can connect but response is slow. Happens at varying times. I just thought it was my ISP.

ukewarrior
08-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Me Too. Not just tonite. Seems to happen about once a day over the past two weeks.

pmcpa
08-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Saw it earlier... looks like it fixes itself in about 5 minutes or so

Jrd
08-24-2010, 11:43 PM
I have this problem occasionally but usually not everyday.

djulien
08-25-2010, 01:06 AM
I've been having trouble getting into DIYC

It could be the server side, the browser side, or anything in between.

Which DNS are you using? (in Windows, the ipconfig command will show this). I was getting similar errors occassionally (and with other sites), and then I changed my DNS and the problem seems to have cleared up (I realize this is not a conclusive test).

Also, does a tracert to doityourselfchristmas.com show any particular nodes along the way as being slow?

Does ping show response problems with the site?

don

Pwmcguire
08-25-2010, 06:56 AM
I know this is totally unrelated, but check out my connections issues http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12032
It was the worst two weeks of my life.

dirknerkle
08-25-2010, 09:13 AM
It could be the server side, the browser side, or anything in between.

Which DNS are you using? (in Windows, the ipconfig command will show this). I was getting similar errors occassionally (and with other sites), and then I changed my DNS and the problem seems to have cleared up (I realize this is not a conclusive test).

Also, does a tracert to doityourselfchristmas.com show any particular nodes along the way as being slow?

Does ping show response problems with the site?

don

Yeah, I've thought about that... but I have three different high-speed gateways of getting on the webbyweb from home -- cable, dsl and satellite. None worked so I doubt it's a dns issue. I have two ways at work, so from home, I connected to one of my pcs at work and from there, back out to DIYC -- tried both, but to no avail. It's definitely a server-side issue, especially when one moment there are 70+ users on line and a few moments later, only 7. That many users don't suddenly disconnect on their own. Something forced the disconnect.

My guess is that DIYC is hosted on a shared server and is using a MySQL database engine, but because it's shared, it has limited bandwidth and the ever-increasing activity on DIYC is pushing the server over the edge and either causing a restart or the shared server has a bandwidth limiter on it that stops you dead in its tracks otherwise.

oldcqr
08-25-2010, 09:29 AM
I get weird problems here too.. For a few days there I was getting 500 errors, and even 'Account Suspended' notices - like the hosting provider turned off the account. It was so bad that I thought I was back on 1and1 servers :p.

FYI: For a quick check, I like to use http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com . It's not as insightful as a service scan and a trace, but it does in a pinch.

T.D.Sutton
08-25-2010, 09:53 AM
I have noticed the same hassle out here from the South Pacific!! it got me so worried last week I checked by email with Dirknerkle, in case it was a hasssle at my end. It was giving me the " 'Account Suspended' notices". Thankfully everything was back to "normal" when I checked the next day. Cheers, Terry

Skunberg
08-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Mine went down at the same time. I just went to the other bench and started soldering, probably better off for it ;-)

g2ktcf
08-25-2010, 11:17 AM
well there is definitely something going on as I was getting sporadic time outs as well. No "account suspended" or anything like that...but just never connecting (this was from Malaysia BTW..no problems here in the US)

LabRat
08-25-2010, 11:28 AM
To add to the evidence trail, I saw "Account Suspended" for a couple of hours a few days back. I was worried that our own success may have caused us to use too much bandwidth etc. (So I tried to stop polling quite so often) :)

zztopmo
08-25-2010, 12:47 PM
I got the Account Suspended message also. Was wondering who I made mad?:rolleyes:

Greg in Canby
08-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I got the Account Suspended message also. Was wondering who I made mad?:rolleyes:
I had the exact same message AND the exact same thought.

oldcqr
08-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Typically when you see 'account suspended' messages, it's for 1 of 4 things:

1 - The account really IS suspended because of some kind of TOS violation. Not an issue with a site like DIYC.

2 - Someone forgot to pay the bill (it happens!)

3 - The host has taken the site (and probably all the others on that server) down for some kind of rebuild/maint/recovery.

4 - The site exceeded the alloted bandwidth.

My money is on #3.

(edit: Wirewrap reminded me about bandwidth.)

WireWrap
08-25-2010, 01:12 PM

Not you, ZZ. Normally the "Account Suspended" message means that the site you're trying to reach has either exceeded it's allowed bandwidth for the month, or the provider hasn't been paid for the period. (Normally that only occurs at the beginning of the month). Usually, it can be cleared up by the site owner paying for additional bandwidth if it was exceeded.

oldcqr
08-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Not you, ZZ. Normally the "Account Suspended" message means that the site you're trying to reach has either exceeded it's allowed bandwidth for the month, or the provider hasn't been paid for the period. (Normally that only occurs at the beginning of the month). Usually, it can be cleared up by the site owner paying for additional bandwidth if it was exceeded.

OOPS! I forgot about that one (bandwidth) :cool:

WireWrap
08-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Dang it, I hate that. I started a reply right after zztopmo's message and then get stuck on a call. By the time I finish my message and submit it, a bunch of others have replied and I look like an idiot. (Not too far a stretch...)

Oh, well, can't be upset by being beaten by oldcqr. Seems like he's always on, and has been around long enough to comment wisely on ANY topic <grin>.

:)

oldcqr
08-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Dang it, I hate that. I started a reply right after zztopmo's message and then get stuck on a call. By the time I finish my message and submit it, a bunch of others have replied and I look like an idiot. (Not too far a stretch...)

Oh, well, can't be upset by being beaten by oldcqr. Seems like he's always on, and has been around long enough to comment wisely on ANY topic <grin>.

:)

No way dude, you hit it perfectly with the bandwidth thing! Our messages meshed perfectly. :D

christmas-light
08-25-2010, 03:28 PM
some times I also have this problem, with the site is not available

I did this

gave me a new ip address and cleaned my DNS and that didn't help :(

Then I did go ta a random Proxy server site and went to DIYC and then I could open DIYC again (through the proxy), but I didn't logon because I do not think it is safe enough :rolleyes:

C - L

Jrd
08-27-2010, 01:05 AM
I hope Brian takes backups of the wiki and forum regularly, sounds like DIYC may need a server upgrade soon.

Macrosill
08-28-2010, 09:44 PM
I am sorry for all this mess. The Account Suspended message was an error on the host side and was rectified within 10 minutes of me being alerted to the issue. I received 2 or 3 emails. They are looking into the issue but do not know what caused the system to suspend my account. They have adjusted the settings so that the account will never get suspended by the system, even for non payment. It would have to be done manually.

As for the other issues I do not know what is going on. I have not had any problems from here and I am on almost daily. I am not saying there is no issue, only I have not seen it. I will notify the host and have them open a ticket for us.

Please, when things like this go on let me know. Drop me a PM, email or phone call if you have my number. You can email me at my personal address via the DIYC email function, to my username at yahoo.com, to the DIYC support email, to the DIYC admin email or to the Christmasinshirley.com admin email. I check every one of those numerous times per day. Please use them.

Backups of the entire site are done daily.

Bandwidth is not the issue. The max we ever used was over 54GB/month in Nov of last year. I worked hard and long optimizing things and we have brought a typical months bandwidth down to about 16GB from an average of about 30GB.

dirknerkle
08-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Brian,
We appreciate all you do for all of us.
Thanks.

-dave

Jrd
08-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Brian,
We appreciate all you do for all of us.
Thanks.

-dave

Yes we do! Thank you so much Brian! :D

Wow! 54GB! Even 16GB sounds like alot to me!

kostyun
09-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Only 54 gb per month? My "private" forum is at 70gb per month and has 130,000 posts in 12,000 threads by 400 people. (this is since setup on April 1st if this year)

I wish the issue I keep running I to at work could be solved, but probably safer that way.