PDA

View Full Version : Dipole Antenna Question

deplanche
08-23-2010, 11:52 PM
I am in the process of making a dipole antenna and am having some problems. I connected the transmitter to a BNC connector, and attached RG59 cable to that, which I am trying to attach to the dipole antenna described in the wiki. I can connect the center cable of the RG59 to the copper wire I am using for the antenna. But for the bottom, I can't seem to solder the shield wire to the antenna... the solder just won't stick. So how do I connect it so the antenna works properly?

dj merritt
08-23-2010, 11:59 PM
I use solder paste/flux for the ground side . apply flux to the metal portion with heat then solder on

budude
08-24-2010, 12:19 AM
I am in the process of making a dipole antenna and am having some problems. I connected the transmitter to a BNC connector, and attached RG59 cable to that, which I am trying to attach to the dipole antenna described in the wiki. I can connect the center cable of the RG59 to the copper wire I am using for the antenna. But for the bottom, I can't seem to solder the shield wire to the antenna... the solder just won't stick. So how do I connect it so the antenna works properly?

Is it possible the wire is aluminum and not tinned copper braiding - just wondering if that's why the solder isn't sticking?

deplanche
08-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Could be aluminum. It's a whitish metal, so I can't tell for sure. But no matter how hot it gets, the solder does stick. I'll have to try some of the solder paste and see if that helps at all.

tweist
08-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Your shielding part of the cable is alum. You will not be able to solder to it. The best way around this problem is to make the Dipole antenna a removable part. Do this by putting a connector on your Dipole PVC tubing. The connector will solder to the wire in the antenna, and then on the cable end, you can put the mating connector. You can use standard screw on connectors like the 75 ohm type or you can us the BNC type. Both types and ends can be found at radio shack if that is your only source, or you can find them online. It makes setup a lot easier each year to have the cable as a separate part.

Good luck, and the Dipole is the only way to go. The quality of the signal is remarkable better.

upstech76
08-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Most CATV coax (RG6 & RG59) use a aluminum braiding for the shield. As previously stated its solder isn't going to stick. Your best bet is to use some type of butt style crimp connector. My other hobby is ham radio!