PDA

View Full Version : The Mini Tree Maker!

james70818
08-23-2010, 04:56 AM
Well this is my first year of building my display. So last week I started making my 8 channel mini trees that have 1600 lights on them. The first thing I noticed was that rotating that tree gets old real fast! With over 60 different mini trees to make I had a lot of rotating in my future. So I built the Mini Tree Maker!

I took the 4th axis rotary table off of my mill, a 1/4" flex shaft used with my remote control boats, and an drill.
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=170&pictureid=845

Then I mounted a piece of plywood to the rotary table.
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=170&pictureid=846

The drill with a zip tie on the trigger then it is plugged into a cheap harbor freight foot switch for a router.
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=170&pictureid=847

slovanredneck
08-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Wow... 8 channel mini trees!!! I was impressed with the group buys but this is impressive also. Are you planning on recording your display this year? I'm interested in how your first year turns out. I can only imagine the time that you have invested so far. My family is already getting a little cranky from the countless hours in my first year and I'm not going as big as you are.

james70818
08-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Wow... 8 channel mini trees!!! I was impressed with the group buys but this is impressive also. Are you planning on recording your display this year? I'm interested in how your first year turns out. I can only imagine the time that you have invested so far. My family is already getting a little cranky from the countless hours in my first year and I'm not going as big as you are.

Thanks, I will make video's as I go and of the final product. You can go to YouTube.com and see the Mini Mega trees. I am at work right now so I cannot go and post a link to the video. But do a search for James70818 and you will see what I have done so far. I have a video with three trees that is really cool but will have to post it later.

James

kychristmas
08-23-2010, 10:21 AM
... 8 channel mini trees that have 1600 lights on them...

How big are these Mini's? I have 3ft Minis and while I could have gone to 600lights, I can't imagine fitting more than that on them.

Very impressive. I guess if I gave up a few other hobbies, I might be able to compete. OK, Probably not!

Oh, I love the machine. Of course, not all of use have a rotary axis hanging around. If I do more mini's, I might consider something like this.

dirknerkle
08-23-2010, 10:24 AM
I am constantly amazed at the creativity and resourcefulness of DIYC members!

james70818
08-23-2010, 11:03 AM
How big are these Mini's? I have 3ft Minis and while I could have gone to 600lights, I can't imagine fitting more than that on them.

Very impressive. I guess if I gave up a few other hobbies, I might be able to compete. OK, Probably not!

Oh, I love the machine. Of course, not all of use have a rotary axis hanging around. If I do more mini's, I might consider something like this.

These trees are 5' tall. They have 700ct white, in 5 segments. The top has 50, second has 100, third has 150, and fourth and fith have 200 each. Then Red, Blue, and Green have 300 each. I am only making 6 trees like this.

I was going to make the entire tree spinner out of wood with a cheap spice rack from wallmart. Then I had the brain fart to use the rotary table.

Thanks, James

Aussie Ryan
08-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Wow, 60 trees with 8 channels each?

CaptKirk
04-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Wow that is just under a full DMX universe itself just for the mini's! Yikes! Looking forward to the videos!!

james70818
04-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Wow that is just under a full DMX universe itself just for the mini's! Yikes! Looking forward to the videos!!

Ask and you shall receive! Here is a good video that showed last years stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8rs7jRWtMg Used over 400 channels then and will be over 1000 this year

mlkren
04-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Ask and you shall receive! Here is a good video that showed last years stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8rs7jRWtMg Used over 400 channels then and will be over 1000 this year
That was AWESOME! Great job James, can't wait for the 1000 channels.

smoothice
04-13-2011, 04:29 PM
That is awesome!

wonko
04-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Good stuff James. Who built your display last year? Wish I could get someone to build a display like that for me. Keep us posted on your progress.

Brian

james70818
04-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Good stuff James. Who built your display last year? Wish I could get someone to build a display like that for me. Keep us posted on your progress.

Brian

That Who was ME. A lot of late hours went into getting it built in one year.

James

wonko
04-13-2011, 10:01 PM
That Who was ME. A lot of late hours went into getting it built in one year.

James
My bad. I got confused after reading your first post. I failed to look at dates (the new forum stuff has me confused) and was thinking that when you said it was your first year building your own display, you meant for 2011. Does that make any sense? It sure doesn't to me lol...I guess I need to go to bed. Anyway, great job!

Brian