PDA

View Full Version : Triks-c and Ren-W

soakes94
08-17-2010, 03:24 AM
Hey :) I was wondering has anyone tried using the Ren-w with the Triks-c? And if so what were the results? I think this could be a great setup of it did work as the board could be placed anywhere, and it would be very useful to me as I use my board at school for concerts and things, and in the UK Health and Safety is prime so the less cables the better lol

Thanks
Stephen :)

budude
08-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Hey :) I was wondering has anyone tried using the Ren-w with the Triks-c? And if so what were the results? I think this could be a great setup of it did work as the board could be placed anywhere, and it would be very useful to me as I use my board at school for concerts and things, and in the UK Health and Safety is prime so the less cables the better lol

Thanks
Stephen :)

The Triks-C has the same pinout as the Renards so it should probably work - you may want to check out this post as well - http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6951

soakes94
08-17-2010, 03:53 AM
Just what I was looking for - Thanks :)

kychristmas
08-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Let's see how long it takes Dirk to respond. I'm guessing before 9AM Central :)

dirknerkle
08-17-2010, 11:17 AM
HAH! I'm late! As long as the two devices can work with the same pin-outs and use serial communication in a range the Ren-W can manage (streaming data < 80kbps) it should probably work. However, if any handshaking (hardware or xon/xoff) is required, it won't work as Ren-W does not have duplex capability.

So for being late in my reply, I'll accept the loss of 10 yards and the down...:rolleyes:

soakes94
08-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Whats handshaking? I'm not very up to date on these terms lol

dirknerkle
08-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Handshaking in layman's terms is the ability of two electronic devices to sense each other's ability to either send or receive and to control the flow of communication between the two. It can be designed into either the hardware itself or in the software used.

Ren-W does not perform duplex communication and therefore, hardware or software handshaking will not work because the Ren-W is not sending a signal back to the transmitter; Ren-W only receives whatever it gets and leaves it at that.

soakes94
08-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Okay, I dont think the triks-c does that, it only uses pins 3 and 5 from the DB9 plug

LabRat
08-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Okay, I dont think the triks-c does that, it only uses pins 3 and 5 from the DB9 plug

Yep.. that's Tx and GND. There is not backwards chatter.. thus REN-W will work.

budude
08-17-2010, 03:36 PM
I used my old LOR RS-485 dongle (with data lines swapped) for both Renard and Triks-C and I'm pretty sure I did not have to make any changes to the port settings when going between the two. I agree with LR - I'm pretty sure it should work just fine.

soakes94
08-17-2010, 03:44 PM
That's awesome, now just need money to buy the parts lol, whats the cheapest wireless part available, I will be using an antenna, and it doesn't have to go to far, not even 100 meters

dirknerkle
08-17-2010, 05:07 PM
That's awesome, now just need money to buy the parts lol, whats the cheapest wireless part available, I will be using an antenna, and it doesn't have to go to far, not even 100 meters

Three words: read the wiki

;)