PDA

View Full Version : My SSR Boxes

JP90
08-02-2010, 05:19 PM
There have been a few questions about mounting the SSR's in the Keptal boxes. The problem is that the holes in the ssr's don't line up with the mounting studs in the box so I went to Lowes and bought some stiff back board and made a sub-floor for the box. I put a little dab of acrylic paint with a Q-Tip on the plastic stand off in the box that I wanted to use to mount the sub-flooring and placed the back board in place, when I removed the board there were marks in place to drill the mounting holes. I then monted the ssr's with 1/2 inch stand off's and then mounted the board in the box. I drilled holes along the side to hold the wire ties for the cabling to the lid of the box. I mounted another sub-flooring to the lid to hold the Euro connectors. I used wire ties to hold the connectors in place, quick and easy mounting.
The Euro connectors can hold an 18 gauge tinted wire with no problem. These connectors I purchased from ebay (China)

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-x-12-way-TERMINAL-STRIPS-3amp-Connector-SW14-/280543243898?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Railways&hash=item4151ae2e7a

12 connectors per strip which can be cut to the size you need and 10 strips in a box for around $14 including shipping, if you buy them in the US there about $4 each. I used this setup last year with no problems. The wire for the AC input is 16 gauge and the wires from the ssr's is 18 gauge. I had 75 watt floods running off this wire and worked great. I buy 18/2 spt in 250' rolls from Home Depot for $39 a roll and connect it to the euro connectors after tinning and use spade crimp connectors on the side that connects to the lights also worked great no problems. Using this sub-flooring you can mount just about anything in the box. I do have some exposed wires just have to be on guard I don't want to light up like the lights. Hope this gives you some ideas to build on, I am sure you all can up with some improvements but this a start.

budude
08-02-2010, 05:37 PM
I did something similar with my DC controller/SSR setup last year - I cut a 7-1/2" x 7" x 1/4" board and installed controllers (Ren16 simple) and 8 DCSSRs into one CG-1000 box for 32 channels. I used #6-32x3/4" screws with 1/4" lengths of icemaker tubing for spacers (I think I've cut a few hundred of these by now!).

I also used it to hold 3x ACSSRs in a CG-1000 as many of my items are 12 string based. Not too efficient but I had the extra CG-1000s.

iconrl
08-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Budude, did you use cat5 to carry the power to the lights? It looks like that's how you have the power exiting the case. If that's safe, I may be interested in doing it this way too.

budude
08-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Budude, did you use cat5 to carry the power to the lights? It looks like that's how you have the power exiting the case. If that's safe, I may be interested in doing it this way too.

Yes - for low voltage/DC setups you can use Cat5 to carry power - NEVER for high voltage/mains power. The picture with eight DCSSRs drove my LED SuperStrips and I had two of these for a total of 64 channels. I wasn't using the white LED on the 19 strips I had so I was using 57 channels of the 64. I ran the outputs to an RJ45 punch block and then the strips from there. All that goes away now though now that I have the Ren48LSD to drive them directly. I added more strips and the white LEDs so now need 100 channels to run everything and I didn't want to add to what I already had.