PDA

View Full Version : The Window Wonder

Capt'n Jack
08-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Capt'n Jack usually takes what he can and gives nothing back, but me thinks this should be shared.

I've been doing a lot of thinking and planning and investigating the past year and a half since committing to this hobby. I'm trying to keep future setup simple and use durable materials and lasting assembly techniques. This first display year, 2010, should be the most difficult and time consuming building all the planned elements. I'm blessed to have space indoors to store these assembled items.

I have found a product called The Window Wonder www.thewindowwonder.com (http://www.thewindowwonder.com). It is made for putting mini lights in your windows inside your house. They are adjustable and held in place by tension. Lights can be spaced every one-half inch along a 4 ft. strip and strips can be joined together for any length.

After emailing the company, I could not get any samples nor could I get any profile measurements of the product. I did get a 20% discount which they said should be good for the next couple of months for the DIY community.

I have received my first pack which includes 4 - 4ft. strips, 2 rod connectors and 8 vinyl end caps as a sample to see if they would fit my plan. My initial plan was to fasten the rods or strips to a wooden frame like many others use for windows and doors. However, when I saw the design of the strips there was very little room to use any type of fasteners. I went back to a previous idea of making a cut lenghtwise in pvc pipe and inserted the strip which worked very well. I used thinwall 3/4" white pvc pipe and forced the strip in place which is very secure. I installed 4 colors of minis in a second strip and it went well and looked great with perfect spacing.

I will attempt to add some crude pictures later. If you are interested in purchasing a pack for a sample or even a bulk order you can use promo code santa10 for the 20% discount.

In researching this product I only found 2 references to it in these forums which received no further discussion. I hope this will help those who have been looking for a similar solution. Please check out the website for prices. There is a 24 pack bulk offer which comes to $146.99. If anyone knows of a better price let us know.

Capt'n Jack
08-01-2010, 04:36 PM

Crude pictures as promised.

Jack Stevens
08-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Capt'n Jack -

Interesting; the product may actually resolve an issue I've had, wanting to frame out a light where I have one of those singing and dancing Santas, made I think by Gemmy.

Any chance you're coming to the Christmas Carolina Convention at the end of August and can bring this with you? The event is going to be in Mooresville, relatively close to you.

Capt'n Jack
08-02-2010, 11:46 AM
I am registered and planning to attend. I will bring a sample.

sjwilson122
08-02-2010, 10:29 PM
I use a method similar to this but without the window wonder. I just cut the PVC like Capt'n Jack shows, pry the slot open with a wide bladed screw driver and insert the wires and bulbs. As you work your way down the pipe it will pinch the bulb sockets and hold them tight. I use regular pvc fittings at the corners with a friction fit so I can take them apart and fold them for storage (sometimes have to use electric tape on the ends of the pipe for a snug fit.)

Capt'n Jack
08-03-2010, 07:05 AM
That was my first thought. However if a string went bad and had to be replaced everything would have to be removed. Sounded like too much trouble.

Capt'n Jack
11-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Just replaced a string of blue lights around a window because they were old and not the same color blue as the rest. I must say it was real easy with The Window Wonder setup I have. Just pop out the old string and in with the new. I hate to think how hard it would have been if they had been inside the pvc pipe or tie wrapped to a frame.

Livermore-Dad
11-27-2010, 02:39 PM
I use a method similar to this but without the window wonder. I just cut the PVC like Capt'n Jack shows, pry the slot open with a wide bladed screw driver and insert the wires and bulbs. As you work your way down the pipe it will pinch the bulb sockets and hold them tight. I use regular pvc fittings at the corners with a friction fit so I can take them apart and fold them for storage (sometimes have to use electric tape on the ends of the pipe for a snug fit.)

Thought about this after clipping or ziptie'n my lights to my window frames this year. That slot is what I was thinking would be a good idea.

I'll try the slot next year (get a table saw to make the slit for me. I also wonder about lights inside vs outside. Are you not then adding a ton of light emissions into the room where these windows are?

Capt'n Jack
11-27-2010, 03:05 PM
These are hanging outside on the windows and door. Their flashes can be seen from the inside. They just hang on the vinyl siding J channel at the top of the window. Just unplug the SSR and lift off for repairs.