PDA

View Full Version : Best use of 200 strands of minis?

Steven010
07-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Guys (and gals),

I have 200 strands of 50 ct. minis left from Walmart purchase 2 years ago. I will have 240 new channels on my system this year once I complete my PCBs. We are designing new layout right now, we have several ideas, but we simply dont have enough lights or channels to do all the new ideas. We want to build new elements, now (july) if possible...

SHort list;

1. Star/fireworks (crooks christmas) 60 ct min.
2. Fans (crooks christmas) 24 ct min.
3. Pole lights (house of hallum)-VERY EFFECTIVE-WE BUILD RED/WHITE last year-16 ct per pole
4. Gutter PVC (something my wife wants, think vertical poles, lay sideways, attach front of house along gutters) 56 ct min.
5. Line roof with lines of minis 50-100 ct min
6. Line cirlce driveway with minis 50 ct min
7. Sign (like Seymore lights belagio, or Lindsay lights sign) 96 ct min.
8. Leaping arch (we have 4 clear-add colors to our 4 white)-8 ct per arch per color
9. Other???

We would like to get the most bang for buck on effect, I am worried (for example) that sign might be a large waste of lights, and might be more effective. I am good at stealing other peoples ideas, but alas I have no creative bones in my body:-( .

I will be painting the minis for color, using X-Metals...

Here is our house for anyone whom is curious 200+ channels last year;

http://www.youtube.com/vangentfamily#p/u/0/T3DSXXm3ky0

dirknerkle
07-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Don't underestimate the power of a good sign -- don't throw that one out the window yet. Of course, you don't have to use mini-lights to have a nice sign -- a lot of us use vinyl banners from Shindigz and simply shine a small floodlight on them.

My best suggestion would be to decide if you want quantity or quality. Not that they're oppositional concepts, but a well balanced and tasteful display of 24 or 48 channels can be a lot more effective than just slamming lights all over the place and creating an "in-your-face" display.

You might think about telling a story with your lights, especially if you're animating them to music. Each song can be its own little story and the story itself can give you some guidance.

Just a few thoughts...

EDIT: I visited your site from last year and you already have an awful lot going on. Sometimes "more" is not necessarily better.

Aussie Ryan
07-13-2010, 07:12 AM
I am the ultimate noob here however, with that said, over the past 12 months I have viewed hundreds of Christmas videos and personally I think the shows with the “quality” features seam to entertain me the most. In quality I mean items like the 3 color X4-8 channel arches, or the mega poles with the stars that are like fireworks going off. IMO if you throw more channels at things, even when you don’t use them so much, they seem to look better. And sometimes less blinky flashy is sometimes more.