PDA

View Full Version : Easy CAT5 Cable Splitter

dirknerkle
07-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Here's a simple telephone adapter you can use to either connect two cat5 cables or use as a splitter to connect to two SSRs. At the time of this posting, you could pick them up at the link below for $.78 each.

http://www.pimfg.com/Product-Detail/T-8P8C-ST

I LOVE plug-in solutions!!!

David_AVD
07-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Just a quick caution that this won't work reliably for DMX over CAT5 systems. DMX needs to be wired daisy chain style - no splits or stubs allowed.

Matt_Edwards
07-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Here's a simple telephone adapter you can use to either connect two cat5 cables or use as a splitter to connect to two SSRs. At the time of this posting, you could pick them up at the link below for $.78 each.

http://www.pimfg.com/Product-Detail/T-8P8C-ST

I LOVE plug-in solutions!!!

The unit shown is a straight through connection, not a Cat5 splitter. What this means is you will be connecting 2x SSRs to the same controller port. At the same time, your controller will need to be able to drive double the load.

For DMX is concerned, David 's advice if spot on. I use 1xFemale to 2Xfemale on my display. If you do use these type of splitters make sure the distance to the controller is very short, less than 4 inches

ErnieHorning
07-04-2010, 12:42 AM
I've used this method for the past two years to drive three SSR's each on four channels. It was a simple method to drive R, G, B, W super string on the eve's two levels of the house and one on the garage.

I use four SSR's mounted in a quad outlet box so I only needed to run a single CAT5 and one power cord to each eve. The light strings were plug directly into the SSR box.

It was very neat and simple to set up. :)

AgingBeaver
12-20-2010, 05:03 AM
My DMX controller was in the middle of my setup and rather than loop the DMX cable back to pickup the other side, it would be easier to put in a DMX splitter. I know others have used Y cables

Neccessity is the mother of invention and I looked at designs that used the 75176 RS 485 transceiver and a Quad RS485 driver. I did not have the Quad driver and did not have time to wait to order one, So I used 4 75176's to substitute.

Set the receive 75176 to receive mode, and set the ouput units to transmit. I built this unit on a bread board and used CAT5 connectors from an old ethernet hub. Use 120 ohm terminating resistors on all inputs / outputs.

This is a very simple solution when only one way direction is needed, like in a DMX network. If you put a In/OUt connection on the input side, you can supply 4 daisy chains with just 4 driver ic's.

Have not drawn a schematic, but pin 1 on the input goes to pin 4 on the transmit xcvr' wired in parallel. Should be easy to figure out everything else. Don't need to connect the pin 4 of the receive and pin 1 of the transmits.

Rick.

David_AVD
12-20-2010, 05:15 AM
There's absolutely no problem with having your DMX source in the middle of your wiring layout. Just remember to use a 120 Ohm termination resistor at each end of the total run and nowhere else.

Also, if the DMX source is transmit only (like most are), you don't need the termination resistor at that point, even if it is at one end of the chain.