PDA

View Full Version : Building myarches today what supplies?

olingerjccj
06-06-2010, 11:31 AM
There is so much info on this lol, here is what I am looking to do. I need a arch that covers 10ft in length. Using that with the bend what size pvc should I get. 16 ft? Also is pvc the better way, I have read using some gray pvc not sure what it is called. Then with this length do I need to break it into 2 sections at the center or the heat method. I also found someone over at PC using 1/2" PEX tubing but mine are a bit bigger. Not sure how sturdy that would be? Well thats good for now just looking for thoughts before I go to HD. :D

Thanks

John

plasmata
06-06-2010, 12:06 PM
I think most people here use the gray tubing. Its called schedule 40 conduit. You don't need to heat it as it bends pretty freely. I've only seen it in 10' lengths so you'll probably have to put two of them together. However, since it is flexible you might have a problem with stability at that length with all of the weight of the lights on it.

barbotte
06-06-2010, 12:11 PM
i dont know if i am breaking any rules but there is a lots of very good info on how to make arch or other things on Jeff site here is the link http://www.lauderdalechristmas.com/how-to.htm
now scroll way down to the bottom of the page and there is a power point presentation that you can save on your pc and it show in detail how to do it and what you need ...i hope it help
cheer

StandingInAwe85
06-06-2010, 12:22 PM
In my opinion, the ideal arch is a half-circle. If you want it to cover 10', or have a 10' diameter, then we can use pi to calculate it (Pi, or 3.14..., is the number of times the diameter of a circle can go around the outside). In your case it would be 5 times pi, or about 15.7'. I've found that using a coupling in the center joining two pieces creates a slight "point" to the arch that I don't like. On my models, I use three pieces and put the joints on the sides to make it not as noticeable. Be sure to use duct tape or screws to secure the pipes in the fittings or you may have an unwanted surprise later on.

As far as the type of PVC, the grey stuff should work (it may be located in electrical since it is conduit), but I will suggest something else. For the base of my mega tree last year I decided to try some slightly more expensive tan colored stuff called CPVC. I am amazed at the flexibility of it, I was able to easily bend a 10' section into a complete circle. I would strongly recommend it for anything that requires bending. The only thing you need to keep in mind is it's a different size diameter from standard PVC so it requires special fittings (ask a store employee, they were not stocked with the rest of the fittings in my store). Hope this helps

olingerjccj
06-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Those are all great tips. I was gonna go out yesterday and get the stuff, but the 7 margaritas got in the way ;) . So I am gonna rest today and go looking tomorrow. I was kinda stuck on the footage but 15.7' helps. If you break it down to 3s. Ill just put a coupler every 5.23'. One last question. The rebar to hold the arch is at the 75 degree angle is enough to hold the arch? Well thats it for now.

John