PDA

View Full Version : DC SSR Question

D56VillageNut
05-15-2010, 11:59 AM
I want to do a double check on this.

If I'm using a regulated 5v DC power supply to run my DCSSR, I should be able to bypass (jumper) the 7805 Vreg and leave off the two filter caps on the board, correct?

Thanks for any assistance.

Alan T

budude
05-15-2010, 12:01 PM
I want to do a double check on this.

If I'm using a regulated 5v DC power supply to run my DCSSR, I should be able to bypass (jumper) the 7805 Vreg and leave off the two filter caps on the board, correct?

Thanks for any assistance.

Alan T

Yep - this is exactly what I did to run my SuperStrips last year.

smartalec
05-15-2010, 12:07 PM
would'nt it still be better with the filter caps? to smooth the power under load?
alec

budude
05-15-2010, 01:09 PM
would'nt it still be better with the filter caps? to smooth the power under load?
alec

The caps are there for the regulator to help keep it stable since it is far from the input source - but they are not necessary since there isn't a regulator.

smartalec
05-15-2010, 01:17 PM
The caps are there for the regulator to help keep it stable since it is far from the input source - but they are not necessary since there isn't a regulator.

how many DCSSR boards can i run of the 5v line on a computer power supply?
certainly cut down costs if most of my DCSSR's ran off the same supply
saves putting a bigger load on the ren64's power supply then

D56VillageNut
05-15-2010, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I'm planning to run with my DC SSRs.

Alan T

budude
05-15-2010, 01:47 PM
how many DCSSR boards can i run of the 5v line on a computer power supply?
certainly cut down costs if most of my DCSSR's ran off the same supply
saves putting a bigger load on the ren64's power supply then

Keep in mind that the control side of the DCSSR (the "left" side or LEDs of the optos) comes from the controller. I wouldn't think there is that much loss through the MOSFET side so it pretty much comes down to the actual load connected to them. You would need to add all that up I guess and use some margin of error and allow for transients.