PDA

View Full Version : LED ??

flintman
11-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Short leg into the square solder joint?? just want to double check

wjohn
11-17-2007, 05:40 PM
short leg goes in the Square Hole.

All the details are in the Contrstuction manual.

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138

Cheers

flintman
11-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Ya i have the constructions in hand just wanted to double check ive but them in backwards soo many times :D

xmus
11-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Ya i have the constructions in hand just wanted to double check ive but them in backwards soo many times :D

( I've never build a grinch, only Renard... but...) I never remember, so i just power up the board, and put them in quickly, if they work, I solder them, if they don't I remove them quickly, i turn it around and try again. I have yet to kill an LED or board doing that :)

ErnieHorning
11-17-2007, 07:47 PM
The outside of LED's may be different. Sometimes one lead is shorter, but it’s not always the same lead; sometimes both leads are the same length. Sometimes one side of the plastic part has a flat side, sometimes it doesn't. Look inside, the bowl always is the cathode and always is connected to the more negative side of the circuit.

Remember this picture and you’ll never have this question again.
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/4834/ledde5.jpg

Wayne J
11-17-2007, 07:56 PM
The outside of LED's may be different. Sometimes one lead is shorter, but it’s not always the same lead; sometimes both leads are the same length. Sometimes one side of the plastic part has a flat side, sometimes it doesn't. Look inside, the bowl always is the cathode and always is connected to the more negative side of the circuit.

That is exactly how I do it. If you know which pad is + or - , you will get it right every time.

8)

synnie
11-21-2007, 06:05 AM
Iworked on the idea for Clear LEDs that when you look at it side on, the arrow points towards the positive side, por the direction the power is coming from.With the coloured LEDs that would be a bit harder to determine.That bowl is hard to see when youre using 5mm or smaller LEDs