PDA

View Full Version : painting frame - fabric covers ?

ben&bobbi
04-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I picked up a few 3D wire frames from the list of craig. Got a 5' snowman that waves his hat, angle with waving wings, couple sleighs and reindeer. They are well used need some repairs, but for $20 i bit!

So why are the frames white? All i have seen and most the DIY ones posted here are painted white. These ones are little rusty and i want to clean them up. i would think black would hide better.

I need to fix the lights, but wonder how full they look or just look like a ball of lights. I was thinking of getting some fabric and making a cover for the snowman and have the lights inside the cover. What type of material would i need?

Ben

bobkeyes
04-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Ben,

I would suspect that they are white so that they will make a better day time display against the grass. However, they would disappear in the snow.

jbullard
04-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I weld my own wireframes. I aways paint the metal the same color as the overlaying lights so they look as good in the daylight as they do at night.

So on a wireframe with 4 colors of lights, there will be 4 colors of paint on the metal.

Here are two before lights were put on. The Uncle Sam is red white and blue, except for the two supports at the front which are painted black and do not have lights on them.

It's your wireframe, paint it anyway you want to.

dirknerkle
04-10-2010, 11:49 PM
I weld my own wireframes. I aways paint the metal the same color as the overlaying lights so they look as good in the daylight as they do at night.

So on a wireframe with 4 colors of lights, there will be 4 colors of paint on the metal.

Here are two before lights were put on. The Uncle Sam is red white and blue, except for the two supports at the front which are painted black and do not have lights on them.

That's really a terrific idea! And I'd guess it would also intensify the color of the light, too. Very nice!!! I'm going to write that one down as a "to-do"!

mmulvenna
05-12-2010, 04:02 PM

It's your wireframe, paint it anyway you want to..

I usually wrap mine in tinsel so they look great during the day and really sparkle at night. I have wrapped before and after attaching the lights and it does not seem to make a big difference. I buy it after Christmas when it is almost free......