PDA

View Full Version : Looking for wind-up megatree design

edward57
04-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I had a megatree last year (a segmented flagpole design) that went up really easy with 3 people, but after a month of the segments settling under the weight.. took a (wobbling) scissor lift and 2 people to take down!.. not a situation I want to put myself in again this year..

I am looking for a winch design that will lift a telescopic design pole 6m (20ft) with 15,000 LEDs, maybe 3 segments of 2m each..

Matt_Edwards
04-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Not quite a telescope solution but have you considered a 1.2m pivot and then swinging a 6 metre AL pole up.
I am looking a a similar solution for this year. I have a 50mm Dia x 6m mast that will be installed. I was intending on using two star posts belted into the ground as the pivot point. I then band strap the base of the mast to keep it up right. If I could get long enough star posts I would have the pivot 1.5m above the ground.

mmulvenna
04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Not quite a telescope solution but have you considered a 1.2m pivot and then swinging a 6 metre AL pole up.
I am looking a a similar solution for this year. I have a 50mm Dia x 6m mast that will be installed. I was intending on using two star posts belted into the ground as the pivot point. I then band strap the base of the mast to keep it up right. If I could get long enough star posts I would have the pivot 1.5m above the ground.

Have you looked at JUMP (http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=32839)

joshlisa
04-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Not sure if it will be "heavy" enough solution but last year I used one of those Pool skimmer handles. Two sections that telescope and just twist to lock in. Mine was about 6M tall and I just put three wires to stabilise it. Coped some storms and all was good afterwards. Easy to take down two. I just belted a couple of feet of PVC pipe into the ground to hold the base with automotive pipe clamps holding all the bits and pieces for the light strings up and down the length.
Like I said, may be a little light weight for what you want but worked great for me.
Josh

Matt_Edwards
04-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Have you looked at JUMP (http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=32839)

No I hadn't seen that one. For those with out a Planet login, details can be found here (http://www.magicchristmasnews.org/magic_christmas_news_003.htm)

smartcontrols
04-07-2010, 09:02 AM
I use a 20' sectioned flag pole and have a manual cranked boat winch screwed to the pole about 3' feet up. I have a pulley attached to the top with a cable from the winch to a 3" PVC coupling sliding on the pole. I attach the lights to the coupling. I start with the coupling down just within reach. When all looks good I slowly crank it up. I do have to stop a few times along the way to straighten out the lights, but I put up and take down myself.

edward57
04-08-2010, 11:59 PM
I use a 20' sectioned flag pole and have a manual cranked boat winch screwed to the pole about 3' feet up. I have a pulley attached to the top with a cable from the winch to a 3" PVC coupling sliding on the pole. I attach the lights to the coupling. I start with the coupling down just within reach. When all looks good I slowly crank it up. I do have to stop a few times along the way to straighten out the lights, but I put up and take down myself.

Smart thinking.. simple, cheap.. just the answer I was looking for...
thanks..

stanward
04-09-2010, 04:34 AM
Can you please provide pictures?