PDA

View Full Version : 3 out of 4 work great, any suggestions?

usmcapc27
11-15-2007, 06:23 AM
ok, so i tested my 4 595's tonight, 3 are working great. the fourth board powers up, but from there on out i get nothing. i have them daisy chained together, with power also being passed through the Cat5. if i connect the board in the 2nd or 3rd spot none of the boards after it work. i checked continuity from the RJ45 to the first 595 its good. i am using pre-made cables. i also switched around the 595 IC's thinking maybe i just had a bad first one. no luck though. i also checked my solder joints they all looked good. i did touch up many of them just in case, again no luck. any suggestions. i thinking maybe the RJ45 connector on the board is not making good contact with one of the pins on the cat5 the strobe, clock or data pins, what do you guys think? Thanks in advance, Andrew

cobraman44
11-15-2007, 08:23 AM
I would try the board first and by itself to make sure that the board is the issue before troubleshooting the board.

Dan Ross
11-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Double check the input RJ45 jack, also try swapping the chips from a board that works to this one.

jmelvin
11-15-2007, 08:51 AM
"If i connect the board in the 2nd or 3rd spot none of the boards after it work."

Sounds like there is something wrong on the board if nothing works after it.

usmcapc27
11-15-2007, 03:51 PM
the board does not work even when by itself. i swapped a couple of the 595 IC's from one of the other boards, still does not work. checked the continuity through the RJ45 jack with a CAT5 plugged check out OK. not sure what else it could be, really look for some help with this one....

NogginBoink
11-15-2007, 04:00 PM
I would reflow the solder on the RJ45 jacks, and on the IC sockets.

WakeFan
11-15-2007, 05:34 PM
If you are using coop boards, are your jumpers in the right place on the one board?

usmcapc27
11-15-2007, 07:07 PM
i am using the co-op boards, got the jumpers in exactly same positions as the other 3 boards. I already reflowed the RJ45 Connectors. I really appreciate all the suggestions you guys! Thank you
However the board is still not working...

WakeFan
11-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Did you install leds, and if so does the power light even come on when hooked up by itself?

usmcapc27
11-15-2007, 10:32 PM
yes all the LED's work. when hooked up by itself, the power led comes on, also some random channel lights come on, when i run a sequence nothing happens at all it just sits there...

RavingLunatic
11-15-2007, 10:45 PM
This may seem tedious but should help find the problem:

1) Remove power from board

2) Remove all the chips from the board (I'm assuming that you used sockets since you have swapped chips).

3) Check pin 8 on all 595 sockets, all should be shorted to each other and ground pin of input power connector and nothing else

4) Check pin 16 on all 595 sockets, all should be shorted to each other and 5 VDC input power pin and nothing else

5) Check pin 12 on all 595 sockets, all should be shorted to each other and pin 7 of RJ45 IN & RJ45 OUT connectors and nothing else

6) Check pin 11 on all 595 sockets, all should be shorted to each other and pin 5 of RJ45 IN & RJ45 OUT connectors and nothing else

7) Check pin 14 on first 595 socket, it should be shorted to pin 8 of RJ45 IN connectors and nothing else

If all is good so far, keep going

8 ) Apply power to the board, check pin 16 of all the 595 sockets for 5 VDC (should be a given if the above checks were good)

9) Remove power from board and install the first set of chips (1 595 and 1 ULN2803). If possible, use a set from a known working Olsen.

10) Apply power and try running your sequence again.

If it works, then repeat steps #9 & #10 again with the next set of chips. Continue this until you find a set that causes this to stop working.

If you have a failure then focus you attention of the solder connections for the set that caused the failure.

usmcapc27
11-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Alright, looks like i got some work ahead of me... i wil start that tonight as soon as i get home, stand by for results....

JaysonH
11-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Alright, looks like i got some work ahead of me... i wil start that tonight as soon as i get home, stand by for results....

For the heck of it, take a picture of the board in question and post it up. (front and back). Sometimes bro, a second set (or third, fourth, etc.) of eyes can spot something that you just may be looking over, who knows. Worth a shot.

usmcapc27
11-16-2007, 01:45 AM
will do when i get home tonight.

Mudsculpter
11-16-2007, 09:07 AM

2) Remove all the chips from the board (I'm assuming that you used sockets since you have swapped chips).

3) Check pin 8 on all 595 sockets, all should be shorted to each other and ground pin of input power connector and nothing else

4) Check pin 16 on all 595 sockets, all should be shorted to each other and 5 VDC input power pin and nothing else

5) Check pin 12 on all 595 sockets, all should be shorted to each other and pin 7 of RJ45 IN & RJ45 OUT connectors and nothing else

6) Check pin 11 on all 595 sockets, all should be shorted to each other and pin 5 of RJ45 IN & RJ45 OUT connectors and nothing else

7) Check pin 14 on first 595 socket, it should be shorted to pin 8 of RJ45 IN connectors and nothing else

8 ) Apply power to the board, check pin 16 of all the 595 sockets for 5 VDC (should be a given if the above checks were good)

9) Remove power from board and install the first set of chips (1 595 and 1 ULN2803). If possible, use a set from a known working Olsen.

If it works, then repeat steps #9 & #10 again with the next set of chips. Continue this until you find a set that causes this to stop working.

If you have a failure then focus you attention of the solder connections for the set that caused the failure.

I added this to the wiki,... it seemed like some important troubleshooting data

usmcapc27
11-16-2007, 06:11 PM

WOW this worked great, i had one 595 the was bad, stopped the entire board for some reason, replaced and everything is working great! Thanks to everyone for be a tremendous help!

JaysonH
11-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Both IC's are vulnerable to ESD bro, careful with em.