PDA

View Full Version : Ren-C issues

Jakeleg1969
03-17-2010, 11:17 PM
I have just assembled a Ren-C to go with my working Olsen 595. Everything went together as per the assembly instructions. I didn't even have any parts left over when I finished. I assembled a simple Ren-T to supply the reference using the RJ45 jack for the ZC pulse. All of the LEDs work properly. "Power", "Rx Data", and the "Heartbeat" leds lit constantly (Heartbeat does beat). The "overrun" and the "framing" leds light briefly and then extinguish. The problem is that all of the test leds on the Olsen 595 are lit constantly. I have checked and double checked the Ren-C for solder bridges or improperly mounted components to no avail. I am stuck for a next move. Any help appreciated.

Jerry in Louisiana

dirknerkle
03-17-2010, 11:37 PM
I think in a simple "power on" state with no data coming into the Ren-C (not connected to the PC), only the Power and Heartbeat LEDs should be on on the Ren-C -- heartbeat blinking, of course. The power LED on the 595 should be on, too and none of the channel leds.

You might remove power to the 595, wait about 10 seconds and then reconnect it and see if that makes a difference.

While I don't use a Ren-T, it sounds to me like it could be a cabling problem between the Ren-T and the Ren-C. Perhaps the ZC is also being fed into the RS-IN pin of the Ren-C's input RJ45?

daviddth
03-22-2010, 04:58 AM
Jerry, did you ever get this sorted?

Jakeleg1969
03-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Jerry, did you ever get this sorted?

No, David, I did not. I have ordered a Pic programmer so that I can see if the Pic is damaged. I don't know why that would be the case, but I have to start somewhere. This just gave me a good excuse to get a programmer. I thought I was being very careful. I assembled a Ren64 with absolutely no problems and the Ren-C seems to be very straight forward..

Thanks

Jerry

RichF
03-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Do you have any data coming in to the ren-c from your PC.

Also are you using both cables on your ren-c to the 595?

Jakeleg1969
03-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Do you have any data coming in to the ren-c from your PC.

Also are you using both cables on your ren-c to the 595?

Rich,
Thanks for your message.

The "Rx" led lights indicating the presence of Vixen data. I am using both cables between the Ren-c and the 595. I do have a RS45 cable checker, and it shows both cables to be fine. The 595 is supplying good +5v to the Ren-C.

Jerry

RichF
03-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Did you get a pre programed pic from someone?

Jakeleg1969
03-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes,
I got the flashed Pic with the board. At least, it was supposed to be flashed. The remaining parts were from Mouser.

Jerry

RichF
03-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I will assume you received the board and pic from wjohn. If so then I am sure it has the firm ware on it.

If using vixen do you have the correct protocol port and speed set?

Renard modified comm port x 57600 N 8 1

Jakeleg1969
03-22-2010, 06:23 PM
I will assume you received the board and pic from wjohn. If so then I am sure it has the firm ware on it.

If using vixen do you have the correct protocol port and speed set?

Renard modified comm port x 57600 N 8 1

Yes, and the computer works fine with my Ren64 card using the same parameters, so that means the port is good and the parameters are correct. Now, that I have gotten this far, I am using the Renard 64 plug-in to feed the Ren-C board. Is that correct? Maybe that is where I have missed the boat, so to speak...(of course, my ZC reference is also attached to the input). The heartbeat is flashing and the RX data Led illuminates with the presence of data from Vixen.

It is my understanding, maybe incorrectly, that the Ren-C basically converts the 595 to a Ren-64..

Thanks again Rich..

Jerry

RichF
03-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Yes it does but I have only ever ran just the ren-c on the comm port. I have never daisy chained them to other controllers.

The flashing HB indicates your ZC is working. RX lit means you have data from your comm port.

Jakeleg1969
03-22-2010, 07:24 PM
I am not daisy-chaining, at least not yet. I figured I would keep my problems smaller if I just try to get the Ren-C working with the 595 before making things more complicated,,

Jerry

dirknerkle
03-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Yes, and the computer works fine with my Ren64 card using the same parameters, so that means the port is good and the parameters are correct. Now, that I have gotten this far, I am using the Renard 64 plug-in to feed the Ren-C board. Is that correct? Maybe that is where I have missed the boat, so to speak...(of course, my ZC reference is also attached to the input). The heartbeat is flashing and the RX data Led illuminates with the presence of data from Vixen.

It is my understanding, maybe incorrectly, that the Ren-C basically converts the 595 to a Ren-64..

Thanks again Rich..

Jerry

Are you using the "Renard Dimmer (modified)" plugin with it set to 64 channels or some other special "Renard 64 plugin"? I use a Ren-C/595 setup and the standard renard dimmer (modified) works perfectly.

Jakeleg1969
03-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi Dirk,
Thanks for any assistance. I am using the "Renard Dimmer (modified)" plug-in. The same one I use for the Ren 64 board. Tuesday I am going to break out the o-scope and do some probing around.

Jerry

dirknerkle
03-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Jerry,
FWIW, I just provide the data via RS485 to the Ren-C's RSIN jack, and the ZC is provided externally via the header pins next to the Q1 transistor.

Early on I had trouble with the Ren-C as well until I got a decent ZC. I don't use a Ren-T but prefer to power the 595 via a standard PC power supply, and of course, the Ren-C gets its power from the 595 board. But if you're getting a blinking heartbeat, I'd think that you have a decent ZC signal. I suppose it's possible that the chip needs reprogramming. I vaguely recall that the best version of the firmware that worked for me was the 20090506 version. The 2007 version didn't do the job. 0506 was "and experimental" version that Phil modified to fix a 50hz flickering problem, but it seemed to solve other issues, too. It's never failed for me. 0506 is in one of the forums somewhere as I recall...

-dave

Jakeleg1969
03-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Dirk,
Perhaps you can answer a question for me about Pics. As I have very little experience with them I have wondered if they can be "re-flashed" or are they only good for programming one time only. I have a lab quality power supply feeding the 595 and, of course, the Ren-C is fed through the RJ45. After doing a little looking around, I think I will check to see if I am getting the clock, strobe, and data pulses from the Ren-C. Thanks again..

Jerry

dirknerkle
03-22-2010, 10:30 PM
I think you can reflash them up to about 1000 times, so you should be fine. I had some pics pre-flashed for me the first time I purchased a couple Ren-C boards, but something happened to the firmware during the trip and they proved to be garbled. So I bought a programmer, got the code and did it myself. It's a piece of cake to do.

RichF
03-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I still have the Ren-c beta code that worked well for me in a .hex format I can post somewhere if you need it.

Jakeleg1969
03-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Rich, Dirk,
Thanks for your help. As mentioned earlier, I have a pic programmer on the way. It should be here in the next few days. Delivery from Hong Kong has gotten better. One way or another, I will figure this out. The Ren-C board itself is just too simple. I better hurry though, I've only got 8 months left and time is going fast...

Jerry

RichF
03-23-2010, 11:28 AM
I know I am not close to you but I do still have one PIC for the Ren-c and if needed I may be able to help you out.

Jakeleg1969
03-23-2010, 02:04 PM
I know I am not close to you but I do still have one PIC for the Ren-c and if needed I may be able to help you out.

Great offer Rich and thanks. Let me play a little longer and if I think that the new pic is necessary, I will proceed in that direction.

Jerry