PDA

View Full Version : How I Did: ArchFans

djulien
02-14-2010, 05:00 AM
This past season I found ArchFans to be quite versatile for a variety of special effects. I uploaded a write-up of the construction process into the File Library in case anyone would like further info about how they were built:

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/dynamics/showentry.php?e=89

don

kkmm
02-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Great info mate many thanks

Ken

dnesci
02-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Don, I find your "How tos" great. I have read several and they are real helpful.

bhays
02-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Very nice work, I am almost finished with the first of three fans, and will probably add an arch, but at this point I think it will probably just be separate and installed slightly above the fan independently.

This one still needs blue:
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6132&stc=1&d=1266161150

Mine are taking 4 strings per section, so 36 strings per color, red green clear blue.. 9 sections.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6131&stc=1&d=1266161133

dmcole
02-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Don:

Very good writeup.

Thanks.

\dmc

51fordf2
02-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Very impressive! I'll have to read the write-up when I have a bit more time.

Curious, has anyone every combined an arch, and fan? Build a conventional arch, then string the fan on tope of it? You could maybe do a lot, but would it be worth the effort, I mean, be nicer than either one alone?

I envision the arch going from right to left, then when it comes back, the fan comes back with it, then the reverse? Does that make sense??

R

jonedwste
02-14-2010, 02:47 PM
You should probably read his write-up because that is exactly what he did..

Curious, has anyone every combined an arch, and fan? Build a conventional arch, then string the fan on tope of it? You could maybe do a lot, but would it be worth the effort, I mean, be nicer than either one alone?

I envision the arch going from right to left, then when it comes back, the fan comes back with it, then the reverse? Does that make sense??

R

51fordf2
02-14-2010, 04:41 PM
You should probably read his write-up because that is exactly what he did..

Ahhhhh...will do! Saw the post and pics, tied them (erroneously) together, sometimes viewing on a 3" x 4" screen bites! :) I'll check it out when I'm around a REAL computer!

Thanks, anxious to see it.

R

djulien
02-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks, all, for the comments!

You could maybe do a lot, but would it be worth the effort, I mean, be nicer than either one alone?

IMHO, it was worth it, but of course it depends on your style of sequencing. I used several effects that could not have been done with either prop separately, and there are many more effects that are possible.

I am almost finished with the first of three fans, and will probably add an arch, but at this point I think it will probably just be separate and installed slightly above the fan independently.

I think you're right - to add the arch after the fan would be tedious, since you would likely need to thread the string through the fan. I think it's a lot easier to do the arch first, then add the fan, or add the arch separately.

Mine are taking 4 strings per section, so 36 strings per color, red green clear blue.. 9 sections.

That could add up to a lot of channels. How are you spreading them across channels?

They look very nice! Originally I wanted to use ~ 5 concentric RGB arches of diminishing sizes, ~ 9 segments each, and then wire them as a row/column matrix, but due to time and channel constraints I just went with one monochrome arch along the outer edge this time around.

don

djulien
02-14-2010, 06:09 PM
FYI, I just found some videos of fans and ArchFans on YouTube from someone who used a different construction technique:

gable fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwHsW92uX0k
window fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rl7AY7iAeY
arch/fan details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJgFC4ba3Ag

These show how ArchFans can fit into a variety of places in the display: gable, windows, sidewalk, etc.

don

bhays
02-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Mine will be all individually controlled, 3 arches, four colors... so 106 channels for the 3 fans. Arches will be separate.. I am using this setup to replace my Bellagio Fountain from the last two years, so I had a lot of channels from that to repurpose..

51fordf2
02-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Don - got a chance to go through it...that's great!! Thanks for sharing!!

Roger

djulien
02-17-2010, 01:48 PM
In the document, it should say schedule 20 instead of 120. Thank-you Dennis for catching that!

don

Virtus
02-17-2010, 04:15 PM
This is a great write up. I was considering building more arches (the old way) this year but I think I like the look and end visual effect of the fans better. Looks like a great way to allocate similar resources. By the way...I was pleasantly surprised to be mentioned at the end of your document! My kids think I am famous now. :)

djulien
02-18-2010, 01:21 AM
My kids think I am famous now.

I thought you were already! :)

I was considering building more arches (the old way) this year but I think I like the look and end visual effect of the fans better.

As shown in the other videos, you can also build them separately and then just place the fans in front or behind the arches, sort of a retro-fit.

don

Dennis Cherry
02-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Another comment on the Arch Fans.

I built my first arches in 2008 using the threads from others to get me started. First design was 20 foot arches. Used the White PVC in 3/4" and 1" schedule 20 & 40 as my tests. The coupling for the arches was using the threaded fittings. After wrapping the arches (9 channels) and bending, it came apparent that this was going to be a touchy job and was very concerned about the fittings and tubing breaking.

Went back to the forums again and found another setup that looked better, so I scraped the original design and built the following.

Used the Gray Electrical PVC, this has a little more flex than the white. Instead of the threaded fittings I used the built in funnel fitting incorporated into the pipe. Just take a hacksaw and cut one notch in the pipe that will slide inside the funnel.

Wrapped my first arch and set it up, was surprised how much easier it was to bend the arch and setup was a breeze. Been using them for 2 years now with no sign of problems.

So my suggestion is use the Gray PVC instead of the white and eliminate the heating process to get the bend.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

jonedwste
02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Dennis,

I like your addition of garland material at the bottoms of the arches.. This would cover up any "mess" :p Excellent idea!

djulien
02-18-2010, 12:23 PM
(9 channels)

Did you use something like two 100 ct mini-light strings for each segment?

Just take a hacksaw and cut one notch in the pipe that will slide inside the funnel.

How long was the notch, or does it matter?

So my suggestion is use the Gray PVC instead of the white and eliminate the heating process to get the bend.

Did you use rebar or some other type of stakes in the ground? How high did the stakes need to be in order for the 20' arch to be stable?

don

Dennis Cherry
02-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Did you use something like two 100 ct mini-light strings for each segment?

No, used 2 strings of 70 count G12 LED strings, but 2 strings of 100 minis will work also.

How long was the notch, or does it matter?

The notch only has to be the depth of the funnel or slightly less. The notch is to relieve the tension so is slides easier into the funnel and for easy removal afterward.

Did you use rebar or some other type of stakes in the ground? How high did the stakes need to be in order for the 20' arch to be stable?

Rebar, 24 " long with 10-12 inches above ground. I do use a support line in the center on each side. Found some black cord, about 1/8" in diameter at a Ace Hardware Store, looks like parachute cord. Put 2 metal edge stakes in the ground, one on each side of the arch about 3 feet on each side from the arch center. Tied the rope to one of the stakes and ran it to the top center of the arch, made one wrap around the arch then down to the other stake. Adjusted the height of the arch and tied it off. Then to align the arch vertically, just push done slightly to loosen the tension and move the arch slightly and release. Have used this method for 2 years and no problems with wind moving the arches.

The rebar stakes are only to keep the ends of the arch from moving.

The arch ends are about 12 feet apart, that made the center about 6 feet high.

don

Hope this helps

djulien
02-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Hope this helps

Yes, thanks!

don