PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live near boca raton, FL

Omnicef
11-12-2007, 11:30 PM
I am putting the final items together to make my first display. Except that the laptop I was going to use will not drive the Olsen 595 cards. So I have to get a refurbed desktop when I get home as I don't have a clue about the mods to the laptop to make it possibly work. I am programming the songs now but I am in another city on a job and doing this at night at the hotel. (don't ask how many times I had to explain the parts, wiring, soldering iron, 595 enclosure and and SSR boards to housekeeping!)

Thing is I get back the day before bird day and will start setting up. What with testing nothing I am somewhat nervous. If anyone is nearby for an advice call I would appreciate it.

Thanks to all here that have gotten me as far as I have to date. No way I could have done this without you guys.

John Benedict

Macrosill
11-13-2007, 04:39 PM
I am not near FL, I am in NY but if you need help and would like to speak to someone on the phone I can do that.

Omnicef
11-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks Brian. Will PM you if I run into something that buggers me. Dang this programming takes some time!

jmelvin
11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
hey john, I live in tampa I would be glad to help. about the laptop not working I was using an old 300mhz gateway w/ my 595 and it wouldn't work either until I put a resistor on the 5v powering the 595.

Omnicef
11-15-2007, 12:16 AM
thanks for the offer J. I am actually trying to power the 595 boards from an atx power supply. When I power it up, I am getting the power LED for both boards lit. Just not getting any channels to go blinky blinky. Used a parallel plug in for Vixen, and I changed the port type to EPP in the bios. Still did not work. Would have been nice as it would have made my equipment footprint a bit smaller.

Just on the why not try it, what value resistor did you use? I'll try it tomorrow

Also, I have now seen 2 wiring pinouts. Could you tell me which one you used? I am numbering my pins on the RJ45 1-8 looking at the back of the connector with the locking tab down.

Dan Ross
11-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Used a parallel plug in for Vixen, and I changed the port type to EPP in the bios.
You should be using the olsen 595 plugin for vixen

thanks for the offer J. I am numbering my pins on the RJ45 1-8 looking at the back of the connector with the locking tab down.
If your looking at the back of the RJ45 jack with the opening away from you and the locking tab down pin 1 is on the right.

IF you are using the CO-OP 595 board here is a link to the WIKI with all the info http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Olsen_595

Macrosill
11-15-2007, 12:24 AM
This may help clear up the pinouts.
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinouts

Omnicef
11-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the help guys. It is definetly getting to crunch time for me! :shock: