PDA

View Full Version : Organization of the Group Buy Section

Afroopuff
02-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Just thought about this today, although I am not sure how it could be supervised. Sometimes, with all the interest in a group buy, updates get lost throughout the thread. My suggestion is to have a sticky with a running tally on who is currently planning to organize one and it's estimated date.

Just an idea, I realized that it would be a pain for the moderators to have to be on-top of this all the time. My only other suggestion is that it is a thread that anyone can update who meets the requirement for a group buy, but still... some people could be manipulative and mess with it.... Just a thought:)

51fordf2
02-06-2010, 05:20 PM
I agree on the aspect that something could be done...I've often seen that the newest post is a group buy on something I might be interested in, and find it ended a month ago, or possibly a year ago. Perhaps a sub-forum in the group buy for actual "active" group buys, that are pulled out of that sub, when the date has passed, with maybe a sticky of the "planned" buys as suggested. Then when complete, it could move into the dark hole that the rest of them are in. I don't see where it would be THAT much work, as even with 10 buys going on, it's not like 10 of them would close the same day. Or even the same week...

But, I do see that might lead to everyone and his brother, writing the person who said they "planned" on running one, continuously, until it started (and maybe long after that!).

Oh well, just musing....

R

pete
02-06-2010, 06:16 PM
In responds to this thread, I gave something a try. I enter the current running Co-ops on the calender as range events.

Lets see how that works out.

You can access the calender from the link on the header at the top of the page. They also get listed as events at the bottom of the main Forum page.

For those reading this post Click Here (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/calendar.php).

Please let me know how this works out.

pete

dirknerkle
02-06-2010, 06:23 PM
As a solution....

The first post of the thread is likely to be made by the one running the coop (or whatever). Since you can always "edit" a thread of your own posting, that could easily serve as the location for the updated counts, etc.

Then the mods don't have to be bothered with it at all.

RavingLunatic
02-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Pete,

If the calendar events were shown in banners stretching over the included days (like MS Outlook) it probably would be OK. But with each entry showing in each day it looks like a cluttered mess IMO.

pete
02-06-2010, 06:35 PM
I have no control over how its displayed but check out the bottom of the main forum page (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/index.php)

RichF
02-06-2010, 07:19 PM
My only suggestion would be the Coop in the calender needs to have who is running it. i.e. richf mega lite coop....

pete
02-06-2010, 07:47 PM
They do... click on one and you'll see....:D