PDA

View Full Version : Lights and Pvc

olingerjccj
01-28-2010, 04:24 PM
I was wondering when you wrap lights around pvc pole, does it have a lot of slippage or will it hold without any kind of glue/tape? I will add this here so I dont have 2 posts, but cutting c-9s is no problem but does it change anything to add length between bulbs.

Thanks
John

ukewarrior
01-28-2010, 04:25 PM
I secure to PVC with nylon ties and they stay in place.

Dennis Cherry
01-28-2010, 04:37 PM
I use cable ties also, but also some Low Temp Hot Melt Glue to keep the light string from moving while starting the first and last wrap on each string. Also use the Low Melt to keep the extension wires on each string against the PVC while wrapping.

cbell
01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
but does it change anything to add length between

Shouldn't be a problem as long as the wire that you add in between can handle the current that is drawn by everything down stream. I guess what I'm saying is as long as the wire is rated the same or better than the original wire, you should be OK.

djulien
01-28-2010, 10:01 PM
When there are sections of PVC that will show through, I've found that painting PVC with something like a dark green latex paint adds a soft friction layer that helps hold the lights in place, as well as hiding the PVC in places where it shows through.

don

kychristmas
01-28-2010, 10:03 PM
I used 2 Nylon ties on each channel. One at the start and then at the end. so 2 ties every 18" and they didn't slip.

There was a little grey showing through, but certainly not noticable by most people.

Kelly