PDA

View Full Version : Spinning candy cane ?

ben&bobbi
01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
I made this candy cane few years back. it is 4" PVC, with dryer exhaust flex hose making the loop. It has i string of lights on each red and white stripe - stationary. Total 4 strings (2 white and 2 red), 2 stripes each color.

This year i am thinking going with 2 sets per stripe - total 8 strings (4 white, 4 red), then twisting red and white sets together - totaling 16 strings, but looks like 8. Make sense?

Then i want to make it look like it is turning like an old barber pole. Also having16 wally world candy canes in a circle around it, turning in the opposite direction. I would alter directions and qty lit on both throughout the sequence.

Sounds like i would have to control it with 16 channels. Originally i thought I could to do it with 8 channels, but wonder if it would look right.

So the question is,
do you think this will work, look good, or easier way to do it?

Ben

ErnieHorning
01-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I had to read this several times to figure out how you want to do it. A picture would have helped.

The only thing that’s not quite clear is what type of lights you’re using how you’re mounting the lights on the pole.

Whatever you use, you’ll want to mount all of the lights so they’re straight out. Otherwise the white lights will shine through the red ones. I’m assuming alternating colors for each string.

Probably the best effect would be with rope lights. Either paint the sides black or put something opaque in between each rope so they don’t light up the one next them.

DennyMo
02-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Would the 16 candy canes be:
a) spinning in place?
b) orbiting about the big center one?
c) both?

Unless you limit the rotation to +/-360 degrees or something like that, you'll need to go with slip rings for power and (probably) wireless data connection for the controller.

jonedwste
02-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Confusing, but I think what you are wanting is for the candycane to stay in place, not actually move.. You want it to "appear" to be spinning.. ?

If so, I would think you would want to use chasing lights, probably rope lights(3 wire)..

I've never used them, but I think this would create the effect you are looking for..

Maybe someone else has more experience and know-how knowledge..

just my half a cent.

Aurbo99
02-01-2010, 05:56 PM
I got the jist of what you want, Take a look at Tabor's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aO6K7Ao0DI) from this thread (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10145),

Slowing down his sequence may give you the effect you are looking for.

You'll also want to double the red define the barber pole effect, his shows a single red and double white if I viewed it correctly.

bobkeyes
02-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Could you set it up like a spiral tree? Then sequence the lights to rotate around the tree (read pole). Wouldn't that work??

jonedwste
02-01-2010, 07:07 PM
I think the video is in the right direction.. Maybe you could have chasing white rope light and chasing red rope lights.. in a spiral up the pole, like the one in the video.. and set them really slowly..

Would that work?

I dont have any rope lights or chasing ones to test, sorry i cannot be of more help..

kychristmas
02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Could you set it up like a spiral tree? Then sequence the lights to rotate around the tree (read pole). Wouldn't that work??

I tested this effect in Vixen last year and I have attached the Vixen file here. I was planning on doing with a large North Pole. I think the angle of the spiral is a ltitle off, but the effect was still the same and I think was a positive test. This was actually 8 channels each of Red and White. I think Rope light would look great, but you could certainly use any type of lights.

The File is Vixen 2.1

Kelly

ben&bobbi
02-03-2010, 01:35 PM

this is pretty much what i was thinking. Which LED (pun intended) me to needing 8 sets of comdined (red and white) lights.

I got the jist of what you want, Take a look at Tabor's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aO6K7Ao0DI) from this thread (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10145),

Slowing down his sequence may give you the effect you are looking for.

You'll also want to double the red define the barber pole effect, his shows a single red and double white if I viewed it correctly.

i will try to check out that link - if i can sneak past the IT dept! if not, maybe at home! - nope utube blocked!

the idea is the candy canes are not physically moving. the center cane will look like it is "twisting", and the outers look like they are chasing.

ie -
stripe one - 1)white + 2)red, 3)white + 4)red
stripe two - 5)white + 6)red, 7)white + 8)red
stripe three - 9)white + 10)red, 11)white + 12)red
stripe four - 13)white + 14)red, 15)white + 16)red

at frame 1 - channel 1, 3, 6, 8, 9, 11, 14, 16
at frame 2 - channel
at frame 3 - channel
at frame 4 - channel i need to correct thesse

etc ..... reversing direction now and then ....

kwdelre
02-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Sounds like a really cool idea! Pics when you build please!