PDA

View Full Version : UV(Ultraviolet) LEDs anyone?

jonedwste
01-28-2010, 03:46 AM
Has anyone done anything with UV LED's? If so, would you be willing to explain? or atleast share your ideas...

Thanks!!

Cheater
01-28-2010, 04:17 AM
I saw someone doing displays with not only RGB light but they threw UV, yellow and a few others in with some really good code to reproduce colours more accurately.
It looked stunning.

This was some time ago though so I dont have a link. :(

David_AVD
01-28-2010, 07:52 AM
Just be careful with UV sources. Even the LEDs will make your eyes go wonky if you stare at them. We made some UV LED arrays for a tourist attraction and had to avoid looking at them directly when setup in the workshop.

One of the eBay LED suppliers had them quite cheap (~ 20c each) a few weeks ago in packs of 100 or 500 I think.

BuzzKill
01-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Make a UV LED tanning bed. ;-)

ukewarrior
01-28-2010, 01:27 PM
It is my understanding that you have to be very careful with UV LEDs.
Can they damage your eyes?

An ongoing discussion...

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/770002407831/m/302001518831

dirknerkle
01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
It is my understanding that you have to be very careful with UV LEDs.
Can they damage your eyes?

It's the UV that's the dangerous part. The source of the UV light is irrelevant.

jonedwste
01-28-2010, 02:59 PM
I guess what I am wanting to do it use them as a "black light".. Is there some other option that anyone knows about or used?

This of course would be for a halloween light show/display..

Thanks,
Jon

Cheater
01-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Just dont look at it, and point them downwards or at a wall so they arent directly visible. :)

DynamoBen
01-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Blacklights are considered longwave ultra violet fixtures or UV-A (320-400 nm). A typical blacklight will emit at a frequency around 365 nm, which is safe to look at when at lower intensities/wattages. Due to the increased intensity of a modern LED its typically not safe to look directly into an LED blacklight.

frankv
02-01-2010, 04:38 AM
As a bit of an experiment, I've just bought some cheap UV lights (26W and 15W). These are like mini-fluorescents, and plug into normal mains light sockets. I have vague plans to paint some stuff with fluorescent paint and then point the UV lights at it.

Cheater
02-01-2010, 05:16 AM
Or shine it at the ground where your audience is.
Watch their shoes glow. :D

lightingdoc
02-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Check out these. They are incredibly bright

http://www.optotech.com/UV_LED_sources.htm

Do pay attention to the safety data about the intense UV radiation. Allow enough distance between you and the source for the energy density to drop to a safe level.

Kind regards,
Rick

crazybob
02-19-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm looking to build my own UV LED array for my display this year. Having never wired LED's before, what would be the best way to do it? Obviously i'd need to know the voltage and other specs about the LEDs i'm using, but how would a panel of them be wired together? Would each one need a resistor? What would be the best way to mount a whole grid of them?

dirknerkle
02-19-2010, 11:47 PM
I would think they behave exactly the same as normal LEDs -- just observe the current and voltage limitations and your should be okay.

Except this: UV radiation is invisible, harmful and can be extremely dangerous. Don't look at them or get near them because they will "cook" you. Read up on it -- there's more to the eye (no pun intended) that just wearing dark glasses... Remember, you're playing with something that can cause or trigger skin cancer, blindness or other problems.

crazybob
02-20-2010, 12:05 AM
I havn't looked into the amount of UV put out by LEDs yet, but from doing years of research (I run a haunted house that uses many flourecent blacklights), that variety does not put out enough UV to worry about. Now, get up into the 400w UV flood units, and you've got to be real careful.

Greg in Canby
09-06-2010, 06:43 PM
All that being said, has anyone populated a mighty mini with UV leds?

budude
09-06-2010, 06:49 PM

Not yet but I am planning to do just that in addition to a set of 1W Orange and White specifically for Halloween. The specs I have for mine indicate a Vf in the 2.2V range - I haven't measured them yet though to figure out resistors yet. Note, I am converting my MM's for 12v operation (see my other thread).

DIY Guy
09-06-2010, 06:57 PM

I just soldered some up yesterday. I am waiting for 1W resistors to arrive so I can give them a trial run.

I installed white (all cool white) and blue as per normal assembly. The reds and greens will be UV (i'll have to jumper out some of the red pads).

I basically wanted to have a light for my halloween display.. white for lightning, blue is my preferred ambiance color.. and uv for the blacklight effect.

I also just ordered some uv piranhas for some super strips.

DIY Guy
09-06-2010, 07:04 PM
The specs I have for mine indicate a Vf in the 2.2V range

I got mine through the group buy.. they weren't listed on the site.. but I am seeing specs online of Vf in the 3.4-3.6 range.

I'll let you know how I make out.

budude
09-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I got mine through the group buy.. they weren't listed on the site.. but I am seeing specs online of Vf in the 3.4-3.6 range.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks - I was plannng to get UVs for my five remaining strips (have the RGB only on them currently) - let me know how they look. Basically want the same thing - lightning effects, eerie ambiance, etc... I just bought a new fogger (Chauvet 1300) based on another thread (might have been you?) - should be a pretty cool looking Halloween this year...

Greg in Canby
09-06-2010, 09:27 PM
I was thinking about using the Mighty Mini RGB LEDs as designed but replacing all the whites with the UVs. Thus making a Mighty Mini RGB +UV

Having never built one, I figured I could get orange from color mixing (if wanted) and UV for the Flying Crank Ghost or whatever.

The only glitch (well one possible glitch) is the 12 UV LEDs won't have enough output.

Thoughts?

DIY Guy
09-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks - I was plannng to get UVs for my five remaining strips (have the RGB only on them currently) - let me know how they look. Basically want the same thing - lightning effects, eerie ambiance, etc... I just bought a new fogger (Chauvet 1300) based on another thread (might have been you?) - should be a pretty cool looking Halloween this year...

Sounds great. I got 200 UV piranha through phenoptics on ebay. As soon as I get them installed i'll let you know. (the Vf i posted above was for the strawhat version)

DIY Guy
09-06-2010, 09:32 PM
I was thinking about using the Mighty Mini RGB LEDs as designed but replacing all the whites with the UVs. Thus making a Mighty Mini RGB +UV

Having never built one, I figured I could get orange from color mixing (if wanted) and UV for the Flying Crank Ghost or whatever.

The only glitch (well one possible glitch) is the 12 UV LEDs won't have enough output.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, which is why I am trying it with 24 UV LEDs.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you can get the light close enough (ie 2-3' in front of the FCG), i would think 12 would be enough (although I don't think you can beat a fluorescent blacklight for a FCG).

Fortunately I will be able to turn just 12 or all 24 on, so I can let you know.

Greg in Canby
09-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks DIY Guy,

Even with my small UV light the FCG is a bit bright. She floats in a window and the distance from the UV light and FGC is fixed.

Additionally, I have always wanted to fade in and fade out the FGC.

Let us know how your 12 vs. 24 test goes.

Greg

budude
09-06-2010, 10:16 PM

Honestly, I don't think you'll be happy with the "orange" from the MM (or SuperStrips either) color mixing. I know I can't get it from the SuperStrips anyway (I actually don't have a fully functioning MM quite yet) - not even really close. You may want to look into deploying orange LEDs (yeah I know - more money...).

Greg in Canby
09-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Honestly, I don't think you'll be happy with the "orange" from the MM (or SuperStrips either) color mixing. I know I can't get it from the SuperStrips anyway (I actually don't have a fully functioning MM quite yet) - not even really close. You may want to look into deploying orange LEDs (yeah I know - more money...).
I appreciate the input budude.

I have 4 MM pcbs, 3 for washing the house and the 4th for monkeying with. Power supply is on the way and I'm ordering 3 MM led kits from ce-leds tomorrow.

I need to achieve some success with a stock MM before the real monkeying can begin.

But begin it will . . .

budude
09-06-2010, 11:05 PM
I appreciate the input budude.

I have 4 MM pcbs, 3 for washing the house and the 4th for monkeying with. Power supply is on the way and I'm ordering 3 MM led kits from ce-leds tomorrow.

I need to achieve some success with a stock MM before the real monkeying can begin.

But begin it will . . .

Yep - kinda in the same boat - I bought 6 MM PCBs with the idea of having four normal RGBW floods and two UV/Orange/White floods. Unfortunately, I smoked up a few LEDs on one of the RGBW messing around with the constant current stuff so that one board is a bit hosed up (Reds are toast at least). Those 1W Orange and White should be hella bright though!

DIY Guy
09-10-2010, 07:00 PM
It look like we'll have to wait another week. Apparently I ordered 1/2w resistors, and I don't have any large enough parallel them.

Greg in Canby
09-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Apparently I ordered 1/2w resistors, and I don't have any large enough parallel them.

Hate it when that happens . . . don't ask me how I know.

DIY Guy
09-10-2010, 07:58 PM
actually i have 3 100mA constant current drivers so I can do a 12 vs 18 LED comparison this weekend. Will have to wait until next weekend to do a 12 vs 24 LED.

If I light it up and 12 LEDs look amazing (I'm kinda doubting it, but...) I guess we could have an answer.

DIY Guy
09-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Well I put together one mighty mini with 12 UV LEDs. My reaction: meh.

The photos attached are with the mighty mini about 12 feet from the wall.

As suspected these aren't as far into the "blacklight" part of the spectrum as a fluorescent light.

I would say that about 8' they would be decent for lighting something up, but not spectacular.

In the 10+ foot range I think 24 LEDs would work better. However, no amount of LEDs will change the wavelength they are operating on, which is not as good as a fluorescent blacklight.

My FCG is packed away so I couldn't get shots of that. I took a picture of one of the numbers from my countdown sign. It really needs another coat of fluorescent paint, but you can see it does fluoresce somewhat.

budude
09-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Hmm - 'meh' pretty much captures it - I'm wondering if it's worth it as I haven't built mine up yet... Oh well - got the LEDs - guess it will just have to be reallll close to whatever I want lit up...

DIY Guy
09-12-2010, 09:05 PM
They're alright.. But as you can see it produces a fair amount of visible light. Depends on what you are trying to do.

When I get the resistors I'll do a 12 v 24 comparison and I'll correct the white balance so the color is more realistic. It looks blue in the pictures but is definitely more purple-ish.

Greg in Canby
09-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the R & D.
Greg

Braveit1
09-17-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm going to try to get to my UV mighty mini this weekend as well. I've got two pcbs and uv led's to build. Almost forgot about jumpering out two of the reds! Thaks for the post. I plan on doing an entire board with UV and depending on how things turn out, placing a diffuser on them to spread the light evenly since the leds are only 40 degree visibility.

DIY Guy
09-17-2010, 07:58 PM
my piranha UV's came today. I'll put together a half-pop and a full-pop board and we can compare it to the mighty mini 12-led version (i haven't ordered the correct resistors yet to do my 24-led mighty mini)

Braveit1
09-27-2010, 06:11 PM
I posted a mighty mini with 48 leds here:
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=127684&postcount=8

Back to the OP, Target has some tombstones with UV leds out this year. i have a few leds left over from the group buy so I may try a DIY version of this.
(Plastic wrap was still on item.)