PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Projectors?

olingerjccj
01-26-2010, 01:09 PM
A friend just gave me his 124in projector screen. I am thinking on using it during the show to play Christmas Video clips. The editing will be a challenge, but It will fit nicely on my garage door. There a ton on e-bay in the 200 range. Anyone out there use a projector, if so which one have you had success with. I saw a video a while ago have to look for it more but the Rick Astley (Never gonna let you down) clip was cut in the song. That was classic.

Thanks
John

budude
01-26-2010, 02:24 PM
dude - - you were "Rick Rolled"!

christmas-light
01-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Well abouth 2 years ago I had a video projector outdoor and it was painting fake snow on he house... It worked great :D

Here is a littel picture:

olingerjccj
01-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Ok I found it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4YmpMD9V_M&feature=channel_page

I wanted to do this for my into anyway so this video will work great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyx3KHOFXw

Or this one where the Computer get Jealous because Miles falls in love with Madeline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9foZ7KVSng&NR=1
Can you tell I like the 80s

John

christmas-light
01-26-2010, 03:35 PM
One problem is just that vixen can not controle video, but light o rama can

olingerjccj
01-26-2010, 03:53 PM

I was was wondering about that. I was thinking just leave the projector on all night, burn all my videos. Then I am sure the is a editing software to put blank video when I want it basically off. It would be all about timing. I am not super serious about it yet. I still have to buy a high lumen Projector. Still have the Firework project in my head still, so 1 project at a time :D

John

kwdelre
01-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Ok I found it.
n4YmpMD9V_M

That's just hilarious

Virtus
01-26-2010, 07:00 PM

I do it with Vixen. Using the Launcher plugin I can command line control VLC output to a video wall.

tonypgst
01-26-2010, 07:54 PM
I do it with Vixen. Using the Laucher plugin I can command line control VLC output to a video wall.

How in time is synchronization using that method? I was also considering video and have looked into Light Show Pro due to being able to sequence with media files. Care to share an explanation of your method?

Sharkey
01-26-2010, 09:16 PM
What is the projector projecting onto? There seems to be lights behind it? :S

Virtus
01-26-2010, 09:54 PM
How in time is synchronization using that method? I was also considering video and have looked into Light Show Pro due to being able to sequence with media files. Care to share an explanation of your method?
All it can do is time the start of the file. You do have to practice the "load to playing" time so that you can adapt the launch time to allow the start of the file to line up with your show correctly.

olingerjccj
01-27-2010, 12:06 AM
I do it with Vixen. Using the Launcher plugin I can command line control VLC output to a video wall.

Is there a write up on this? Looked around could not find much.

Thanks
John

dirknerkle
01-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Is there a write up on this? Looked around could not find much.

Thanks
John

I believe the launcher is just something that "launches" an external executable at a prescribed time. It's assumed that when the executable ends, it exits from memory. When you load the launcher plugin, you get the opportunity to select the channel it responds to, as well as the full path to the executable itself. These settings are made when you add the plug-in to your profile.

Because the chosen program has to load into memory and then start whatever it's supposed to do, this delay in starting makes it a little difficult to time exactly and some trial-and-error is necessary to determine how much in advance of your desired time the launcher should activate.

christmas-light
01-27-2010, 03:46 AM
I have made a .bat command to media play /fullscreen... Then I use Vixen to run the command and then Windows media player run the video..

I have tested it and it worked great :D

Stgtech
10-26-2010, 04:14 PM
I know this thread is old but one could try this approach.

I have several of these units from other projects

http://www.alcorn.com/products/dvm/print.php?page=products/dvm/specs.html&print=EditVideoBody

Basically it is a solid state media player controlled by rs232 serial strings. I assume that you could script something that would tell the unit to play from Vixen. Becuase these were designed for the amusement industry there is almost zero latency between the play command and actual playing of the video file.

There are several different units like this. Sony makes one that is designed for use in retail but is also RS232 controlled and should work well for this application.

While they are expensive, (~$1000), they can be picked up on ebay very cheap. My Alcorn units were $150 and the Sony's were a steal at only $40. Keep an eye out and they'll pop up sooner or later.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

Greg in Canby
10-26-2010, 04:34 PM

Vixen, controlling lights AND video . . . if Santa is lurking on this board, that's what I want for Christmas!

Greg

christmas-light
10-26-2010, 06:23 PM
I am almost half done with a pice of software there can controle video and monitors :D

I expect that I will release it in next season ;)

artzy
10-27-2010, 06:25 PM
I was was wondering about that. I was thinking just leave the projector on all night, burn all my videos. Then I am sure the is a editing software to put blank video when I want it basically off. It would be all about timing. I am not super serious about it yet. I still have to buy a high lumen Projector. Still have the Firework project in my head still, so 1 project at a time :D

John

If you were going to have the projector on all night make sure you get a projector that wont be too expensive to replace bulbs, as they will burn out fairly quickly if run all night every night through a season

Andy.wpg
10-29-2010, 10:53 PM
I wonder what kind of projector would work at the temperatures we get down to in Winnipeg?

LCD's don't work very well when it's -40.

dirknerkle
10-29-2010, 11:16 PM
I wonder what kind of projector would work at the temperatures we get down to in Winnipeg?

LCD's don't work very well when it's -40.

I've been trying to figure out a way, too. I may build a heated wooden enclosure for a 42-inch LCD TV that has a plexiglass front. Haven't figured it all out yet, but my current thinking is to put a small baseboard heater and a couple small circulating fans in the base below the TV and a thermostat on the back wall. It'd be all-electric, of course and would probably cost about $50 to run for the time it'd be needed. I'm thinking something about 48"w x 34"h x 12""d would enclose the TV and allow for adequate air circulation. It'd have to be waterproof, of course, and probably sealed with silicone caulk while the outside wood itself would be super-sealed with waterproof deck sealant. I'm thinking that it would be like a box that would fit over the TV and fasten to the base. This way I could use an existing LCD TV and when I'm done using it for the show, I can put the TV back in the basement.

I'd use a dual-monitor setup on the PC, and feed the 2nd monitor signal to the outdoor monitor. Might even make it wireless. LED Triks panels are cool, but an LCD panel would knock your socks off. I think I can get the whole thing done for <$150. Wireless would add a bit more...

Andy.wpg
10-30-2010, 04:15 PM
I've been trying to figure out a way, too. I may build a heated wooden enclosure for a 42-inch LCD TV that has a plexiglass front. It'd have to be waterproof, of course, and probably sealed with silicone caulk while the outside wood itself would be super-sealed with waterproof deck sealant. I'm thinking that it would be like a box that would fit over the TV and fasten to the base. This way I could use an existing LCD TV and when I'm done using it for the show, I can put the TV back in the basement.

I don't know about where you live, but here, I would have to think antitheft as well. If I just parked a 42" LCD in a box on my lawn, someone would have a tow chain hooked between it and their bumper before the sun rose again! Never mind that I would probably bolt it to the driveway.

Any thoughts?