PDA

View Full Version : What do people think of these wire frames

smartalec
01-26-2010, 08:14 AM
I found these guys a couple of years ago, an sorta kept the secret to myself.
Just wondering if anyone else in australia gets there frames made there?
http://santasworkshop.com.au/
http://www.santasworkshop.com.au/light_frames.php

i got a couple of the dolphin frames, big hit with the females,
an a couple of others as well..

they only supply the frame, but they also have the clips to clip the lights to the frame, but not the 100 or so cable ties you need to getting it looking realy nice.

toodle_pipsky
01-26-2010, 08:59 AM
I found this site last year flitting around - I thought they looked rather expensive, mind you everyting's expensive here. (Am I right?!?!)
Would be good to know if the quality was worth the price tag.

smartalec
01-26-2010, 09:36 AM
top work on the framework an welding.

thats all your paying for. apparently i herd aluminium rod is hard to weld.

the lights i put as close to each other as i could an cable tied the lights together.

they sent it out in like a big pizza boz, same box i still store them in but bulgy with the lights on them.

Very bad pic quality back in 2003
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/album.php?albumid=136&pictureid=667

Warlock
01-26-2010, 12:12 PM
apparently i herd aluminum rod is hard to weld.

Tig welding aluminium is a pain in the butt(done this myself as I can weld) only for the fact that your not using aluminum to weld with as you are using steel(tig welding and mig welding) or copper(mig welding as well).They do not go well together nor like one another...Best but most expensive and tricky to do is torch welding or brazing with aluminum rod but for some reason it still doesn't hold for very long...

But those frames do look good and the price is a bit expensive as for another $20.00 here you can get a wired frame of the same size..

jpb
01-30-2010, 09:11 PM
I have a number of frames from Santa's Workshop. Some of them up to 8 years old now and still in perfect condition. They also still have the original lights on them, I have probably replaced quite a few of the globes but the plastic bits are still in good condition and not breaking down from the UV. Their lights are bit pricey but they are amongst the brightest incandesent you can get down under and they last.

I now also make my own from steel rod purchased from Bunnings that I then bend and weld into the required shapes. I still buy the clips from Santa's Workshop to attach the lights to the frames.

Jon

smartalec
01-31-2010, 02:36 AM
I have a number of frames from Santa's Workshop. Some of them up to 8 years old now and still in perfect condition. They also still have the original lights on them, I have probably replaced quite a few of the globes but the plastic bits are still in good condition and not breaking down from the UV. Their lights are bit pricey but they are amongst the brightest incandesent you can get down under and they last.

I now also make my own from steel rod purchased from Bunnings that I then bend and weld into the required shapes. I still buy the clips from Santa's Workshop to attach the lights to the frames.

Jon

how does the steel rod you use last? any rust spots in your frames?
i would love to start making my own frames.

just wondering if the ones you make yourself last as long as santa's workshop ones..
ive allways thought they were expencive, but ive had offers to buy my dolphin ones, so to me that makes it worth the extra $$$

Never tryed there globes, way costly in my book..

jpb
01-31-2010, 05:51 PM
how does the steel rod you use last? any rust spots in your frames?

I paint the rod after I finsih the frames and before attaching the lights. They get a bit of surface rust where I have put the paint on too thin but nothing to worry about. They are on the roof and it is dark so you can't see the rust and they are only exposed to the weather for 4 weeks per year so the rust doesn't get too bad.

My oldest steel frames are 4 Christmas' old and are pretty well as good as the day I made them. I also used the same steel rod for my mini trees.

Jon

smartalec
01-31-2010, 11:30 PM
making mini tree's with steel rod sounds good..
im guessing its cheaper than the tomato cages to make?

how heavy are your steel ones compared to santaworkshop..
cause there's flap in the wind sometimes.

daviddth
02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I have made my own steel frames in the past for Minitrees (Raised 3 foot off the ground so you can see them from the road as I have 2.5 foot shrubs around the yard)
as well as the Bethlehem Star. I use 5mm steel, welded with a Mig, then sprayed with cold gal and 3 or 4 coats of black spraypaint. No rust so far.

This year I will be adding a few more items like snowflakes and stars I hope :)