PDA

View Full Version : Breaking up these icicle lights

jonedwste
01-25-2010, 02:31 AM
Wondering if anyone might be able to help me with breaking up these lights... With my little knowledge, it would show that they could be broken up into 3 individual sets(because of the 3 knobby things), what do you think? Is it possible? I think that I have listed where each wire is leading to for the most part.. If you have any questions about a wire or anything, please let me know and I will answer. Please see the attached jpg.

These are 100 count LED icicles by GE. Connect up to 25 sets end-to-end 10.8ft lighted length.

Specifications:
LEDs:100
Total Set Wattage: 6.48 watts
Strand Spacing: 5in between strands
Number of strands: 27
Lighted Length: 10.8ft
Maximum Connected Same GE LED Sets: 25 end-to-end
Plug System: double end: add-on plus end connector
Fusing System: fused plug
Spare Parts included: 2 steady burning LEDs, (2) 3-amp fuses

http://www.igotitonclearance.com/diyc/icicles.jpg

XmasLightGuy
01-25-2010, 11:52 PM
First thing: are these Full-Wave or Half-Wave sets? (if Full-Wave, you probably can't
split up the set)...

Alittle info first

The Full-Wave GE sets i own have oversized non-stackable plugs...because thats where
they put the diode-bridge parts to make it Full-Wave (and resistors too)...so they also have
no 'plastic glob-thingies'

I also have some Half-Wave GE's (which have normal stackable plugs) these have 'globs'
(just a resistor) on the wires

My Ge sets are not icicle tho
---------------------------------------------
Ok so assuming your lights are Half-Wave, look along the main (top) wire there should
be 3 wires along most of the set, but at (probably 2) spots there should just 2 wires.
Its alittle hard to tell from the images, but it looks like that is the case...you should
be able to cut the 2-wire-spot and add new male/female plugs to make individual sets
(look over it closly, just make sure each set has a 'glob' (resistor))

I can't say for sure that it'll work