PDA

View Full Version : RGB Pixels & Vixen

P. Short
01-21-2010, 12:30 AM
The biggest issue that I see with all of these RGB projects (mine included) is the weakness of color support in Vixen. It's possible to do some simple things, but a lot of interesting effects would be hard to create. Unfortunately I don't know enough about this to even know what a good color architecture would be...

DynamoBen
01-21-2010, 12:40 AM
The biggest issue that I see with all of these RGB projects (mine included) is the weakness of color support in Vixen. It's possible to do some simple things, but a lot of interesting effects would be hard to create. Unfortunately I don't know enough about this to even know what a good color architecture would be...

KC and I have spoken at length about this topic a number of times in the last few years. At the moment the technology is pushing the development. A project like this may push him into the next phase of Vixen.

djulien
01-21-2010, 01:45 AM

What features would be the most useful?

This should probably be a separate thread, but I started working on something like that last year (at least for the functionality I saw was needed), but had to set it aside due to other projects. It was turning into a combination of the Adjustabe Preview and Windows Paint, to allow easier definition of the preview image pixels, but extended to also allow the actual channel values/colors to be set as well. I was thinking that it also needed some kind of video import/mapping function, but it looks like there are already tools out there to do that part.

To make the RGB channels easier in Vixen, I was using an RGB "color palette", where triplets of dummy channels hold the R, G and B values on behalf of other channels, and then the real channels would just contain a palette entry# (1 byte) rather than requiring 3 separate R, G and B bytes each. This would help to cut down on the size of the data stream, similar to how GIF images work. I guess I was headed towards a combination of animated GIF and Vixen sequence.

Is anybody working on true RGB editing within Vixen?

don

Entropy
01-22-2010, 01:19 AM
My first thought would be support for channel bonding combined with colorspace work and conversions.

e.g. bind three channels into R, G, and B, and allow working in HSV (Hue, Saturation, Value) with translation to RGB.

HSV makes dimming without color shifts VERY easy. As discussed previously, for a while I was considering moving to HSV when I had severe reliability issues - as those were a result of an I2C master bug, I'm likely staying with RGB, however, my current test script already operates in HSV space and converts to RGB.

Which reminds me I'm long overdue for another source code drop. I am back from my business trip now, however it's going to be a busy weekend since Cornell hockey season has resumed. (I hold season tickets, so I go to nearly all home games.)

djulien
01-22-2010, 02:36 AM
e.g. bind three channels into R, G, and B, and allow working in HSV (Hue, Saturation, Value) with translation to RGB.

HSV makes dimming without color shifts VERY easy. As discussed previously, for a while I was considering moving to HSV when I had severe reliability issues - as those were a result of an I2C master bug, I'm likely staying with RGB, however, my current test script already operates in HSV space and converts to RGB.

I found some color chooser code that allowed working in either RGB or HSV. Would something like this work? The sliders at the bottom can be adjusted to get specific color values (RGB or HSV), or just drag the mouse around within the circle or on the brightness scale to the right, so the user could work in either RGB or HSV. This would allow palette colors to be set, and then channels could be "bound" to one of the palette colors, or a gradient function would allow shifting from one palette entry to another over a specified time interval.

don

P. Short
01-22-2010, 09:17 AM
I've split these posts of into this new thread...which may move over into one of the Vixen forums at some point.

rokkett
01-22-2010, 10:54 AM
It would be nice if the GUI also would generate effect values, such as Vixen does today with a ramp or shimmer. One that would be nice would be an RGB/HSV transition. Select a range of bonded RGB cells, set the beginning and ending color values, and the tool would generate the transition values evenly across the range.

Also would be nice if the bonding allowed for a four channel RGB+W configuration.

So after re-reading this post - I feel that RGB support would be "nice". :)

djulien
01-22-2010, 01:35 PM
One that would be nice would be an RGB/HSV transition. Select a range of bonded RGB cells, set the beginning and ending color values, and the tool would generate the transition values evenly across the range.

Would something like this work? The idea is that you would choose 2 colors from the palette (which is docked on the left in the screen shot), then use the slider (docked at the bottom) to select the length of transition (or enter start and end times into the text boxes), and then it would generate a gradient from the first color to the second for the selected channel(s)?

don