PDA

View Full Version : Bending PVC pipe

Brad Riley
01-22-2010, 12:35 AM
I thought this Instructables how to might come in handy.
All kinds of shapes can be fab'd then wrapped with lights.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bend-PVC-Pipe/

Brad

smartalec
01-22-2010, 03:56 AM
just wondering if anyone has tryed this product to bend the pvc

http://www.thepipeviper.com/index.html

it looks too good to be true to me? but would be instantly fast for making archs

Aurbo99
01-22-2010, 04:33 AM
cold bending of the pvc will have it seeking its original shape, you can actually see it in the last few seconds of the pipeviper youtube video.. The guy grabbed it and re-bent quickly with his hand while turning it away from camera.

Does a great job if you want to bend a pipe in half.. just don't try to make precise measured bends for a uniform star or such..

It intended more for rough electrical conduit work.

IdunBenhad
01-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Hi:
Yeah, I agree with Steve. Not only that, if a company can't put the price in their ad, I can't buy it. Making you call to get their usually inflated price is not my way of doing business.

I won't buy gasoline from service stations that don't post their price, either.

Just my quirk.

Sky-Lights
01-22-2010, 10:02 AM
the sand is a WAY better method ( and one which I used MANY times )
... ....with that bender , you'll need a different one for each size/diameter PVC pipe you'll want to bend .:-?

smartalec
01-22-2010, 10:49 AM
sand is the way to go then..

had anyione tryed the orange pvc tubing instead of the grey?

Aurbo99
01-22-2010, 10:57 AM
From experience with bending PVC.. use the sand, you'll be happy with the results.

dslynx
01-22-2010, 12:15 PM
What? The Pipe Viper website isn't professional enough to make you trust the product?

51fordf2
01-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi:
Yeah, I agree with Steve. Not only that, if a company can't put the price in their ad, I can't buy it. Making you call to get their usually inflated price is not my way of doing business.

I won't buy gasoline from service stations that don't post their price, either.

Just my quirk.

If you click on the sizes on the left, you'll get the prices of that size. If you click on the "Order the Viper" on the left, you'll get all the prices.

I've been using steel springs to bend pipe, for years.

R

Sky-Lights
01-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah ... starting at $30.00 ... thats just a bit more than reputable sand . ( I also use sand to bend aluminum tubing as well , and again , sand is CHEAP , and FREE if you live in Florida - :lol: , and very easy to use )

kychristmas
01-22-2010, 01:05 PM
OK, I'm interested. How do you do the sand method? Can you describe the basic process pls?

I just put up with the collapsing and ugliness that results from bending with heat gun, but if I can do something easier, I would love that.

51fordf2
01-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Yeah ... starting at $30.00 ... thats just a bit more than reputable sand . ( I also use sand to bend aluminum tubing as well , and again , sand is CHEAP , and FREE if you live in Florida - :lol: , and very easy to use )

So is the spring. In fact, a million times faster and easier than sand. For those in business, $30 ain't nothing compared to having to carry a bucket of sand, duct tape, etc to the job site. Maybe not so much for the DIYC'er but I would easily have paid $30+ for the correct size spring, to bend the tubing I needed, when I needed it. It sometimes depends on what your time is worth...

Kelly - it's simple...just pound sand!! No, really!......

You pack the tubing with sand, so the walls won't collapse on the bends, heat it, and bend it. I have seen it done with compressed air, too, but that was a specialty shop, and not really sure how they did it. Magic, I think...

R

random_rodder
01-22-2010, 02:36 PM

If you can't find sand in Florida, just light up a barbeque grill, the sand will find you!!!

Aurbo99
01-22-2010, 03:52 PM
OK, I'm interested. How do you do the sand method? Can you describe the basic process pls?

I just put up with the collapsing and ugliness that results from bending with heat gun, but if I can do something easier, I would love that.

Pack DRY sand into the pvc pipe, duck-tape over the ends.

Heat and bend as you normally would, the sand will not displace very quickly and will force the walls of the pipe to hold as close to original for a much longer period allowing the bent pipe to cool without kinking.

Just remember to use DRY sand! And pay attention to how many bends you need or you may trap sand between the angles.

pre-screened, fine sandbox sand can be bought at most hardware stores and often in the spring when they bring out the plastic covered sandboxes for the kiddies.

I use a cheap plastic funnel and a wooden dowel to tamp the sand as I fill the pipe.

Brad Riley
01-22-2010, 11:51 PM

See post #1

Sky-Lights
01-23-2010, 11:22 AM
So is the spring. In fact, a million times faster and easier than sand. For those in business, $30 ain't nothing compared to having to carry a bucket of sand, duct tape, etc to the job site. Maybe not so much for the DIYC'er but I would easily have paid $30+ for the correct size spring, to bend the tubing I needed, when I needed it. It sometimes depends on what your time is worth...

Yes , but , if you work with PVC for a living , then I can understand a person wanting to toss out $30.00 to bend a 88 cent piece of PVC pipe .
But , when , this gets done for only a few pieces ....

Anywho ...... the springy thingy does not allow the PVC to retain the bent shape completely anyway whereas the sand and heating DOES . :cool:

Jack Mayes
01-23-2010, 07:30 PM
just wondering if anyone has tryed this product to bend the pvc

http://www.thepipeviper.com/index.html

it looks too good to be true to me? but would be instantly fast for making archs

I have used springs like this to bend copper pipe. Have done used on PVC. But works great on copper

eswets
01-23-2010, 08:21 PM
I do a lot of pvc for work, but to bend that small of radius with cold pvc you can get lots of broken bends. I use a MAPP gas torch and less than a minute I have a 90deg bend and no collapsed walls. If you over heat it, it is hard to work with but there is a small window where you can bend it with out damaging the shape. Tail pipe of you car works to but takes longer.

rstehle
01-23-2010, 08:31 PM
there is a small window where you can bend it with out damaging the shape.

I use a heat gun on high, and it works pretty well too.