PDA

View Full Version : How to undo net lights?

Esox
01-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Has anyone tried to "straighten" net lights. is it possible to make a light string out of them or are they wired differently that doesn't allow for that? would like to know if it is possible.

Thank you, in advance

dirknerkle
01-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Welcome to DIYC! You'll have a blast here -- lots of great info and the help is fantastic.

Your name is interesting -- are you a musky fisherman?

Sharkey
01-18-2010, 01:31 AM
Welcome to DIYC!

I don't think it's possible to straighten the lights, I'll take a look at them when I go back downstairs, though! You've got me wondering.

txag2008
01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
wow, this doesn't even seem to begin to be worth it.

you can get mini light strings for less than $1

Sharkey
01-18-2010, 05:06 PM
you can get mini light strings for less than $1

I wish :rolleyes:

Esox
01-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes i am a musky fisherman, in Wisconsin. As for the lights, all the stores by me were out of lights a week before christmas. The exception being Steins... i bought there 100 count at 80% off and it was still 2.79 a set.

For the net lights i found a little Sears (not a full store just tool/hardware)store near me that had the 150 count nets for 1.27 and led (100 ct) nets for 1.57. also some clear led mini (50 ct) for .87 a string. just curious if i can unwind them to make regular strings.

Maby ill just crack one open, try to unwind it and see what happens...

ill let you know if it works

dirknerkle
01-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Yes i am a musky fisherman, in Wisconsin.

Maby ill just crack one open, try to unwind it and see what happens...

ill let you know if it works

Cool. Do you ever fish in the Chippewa Flowage? Pretty good quality fishing there... I may never get my boat out this year -- it's under what seems to be about a zillion feet of snow... sheesh!!!

I would think there'd be a way to open up a net light at least in some capacity. The lights would burn out if they weren't in some sort of pattern -- and they can't possible be 120vac lights!

I'll be interested to hear what you discover -- good luck on tearing one apart!

bmcgeeny
01-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Net lights are similar in design to Icicle lights. They are wired in groups of 35 or 50 (usually 50) and in series/parallel. You could take them apart, but if you follw the wires closely, you will notice the the untapped lead does not follow the lead with the bulbs on it. They design these to put the maximum number of bulbs on the minimum amount of wire.

You would have to cut the untapped wire in multiple place, string the bulbs out straight and then add wire in to the untapped wire. A length of 50 bulbs is probably 12 feet, but the longest piece of untapped wire I have cut out of a set is about 6 feet.

I suppose you could scavange extra wire out of old discarded strings, but hardly worth it.

A better thought is to check with Goodwill, Salvation Army or any other charity thrifts stores. They get tons of old lights in this time of year and mostly just toss them. If you offer to buy them, most will save them for you.

I suppose some of will be doing this in a few years when all that is available is counterfit (LED) lights left.